1:24 Twist .50 Cal Hunting Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Lewis are you paper patching these? not gonna lie ive tried paper patching bought onion skin 9lb paper i didnt have a template so attemptd the math mine were for a 535 grain no excuse the bullets measured .540 and dropped to the bottm of my barrel later finding out from lyman my great plains hunter bore should be .542 ive read some of your stuff and like you i like big heavy bullets

Mr. Lewis are you paper patching these? not gonna lie ive tried paper patching bought onion skin 9lb paper i didnt have a template so attemptd the math mine were for a 535 grain no excuse the bullets measured .540 and dropped to the bottm of my barrel later finding out from lyman my great plains hunter bore should be .542 ive read some of your stuff and like you i like big heavy bullets

No paper patch for these, They are Lubed with my Modified Bullshop NASA Lube :lewis: I shoot a LOT of Paper Patch, it is where i Started in the Hobby, there isnā€™t much, if anything that I havenā€™t tried & done with Paper Patch. I enjoy Tinkering, and Paper Patch are a ā€œTinkerā€ Bullet for me, I like them from a Bench where i have time to Swab/Clean My bore after each shot. In short, Paper Patch has a LOT of Requirements that MUST be met in order to Shoot well. They would be a LAST choice Hunting Bullet for me, I would put up ANY of my Proven Grease Groove Bullets against ANY of my Paper Patch ANY day of the Week :)

Thank you as it was very tedious so i decided to shoot those 535 gr .54 out of some thompson center renegades and white mountain carbines. i love big heavy bullets

Looks like they shoot well. Had Tom make that mold a few years ago - basically my 50cal version of the AC Gould. I also made it in 52.
Ed might recognize the bullet as we did some HP diameters with it in his low Vel test.
I never shot it in a 1:24.
Good work.
1846555F-4B77-4220-9D5A-1789A90FE2BE.jpeg1DD35BC2-51C2-4BFA-AA8E-CB5B57B799D0.jpeg1F46DC6D-0EDF-470E-8734-4F9F636C2328.jpeg

Also, glad to know my old pure lead is same as yours and Tomā€™s molds are repeatable.
3A8DC350-A4D4-4F83-AE3D-160DFEE7C909.jpeg

85 Grains of Swiss 2F :lewis: I have everything ready, Im hoping for Rain, itā€™s supposed to Rain a little this Evening, and tomorrow, It is SCARY Dry here right now. I have some BIG .54 Cal Bullets to Shoot as well. Hopefully Day after tomorrow
We were getting all of the rain. It wiped out several sections of Interstate 70. (Wiped out as in destroying several bridge decks, tearing out 40 foot sections of roadway and almost damming u the Colorado River...25AC1152-07B2-4C1C-9E8E-82F4067171F4.jpegDE376FE6-96DF-4C4A-A7F1-35E9940A3462.jpeg31AD5BE4-747C-4DA8-B4FD-A669BC652BB1.jpeg

and... yes, those are purty bullets Lewis!

How do you deal with the issue of leading shooting all these full bore lead bullets?
Most MZā€™s donā€™t shoot fast enough (using heavy lead) to pose a problem, use a good lube and fire away. If youā€™re getting leading, I would follow @Idaholewis barrel break in procedure. A rough bore would be all that would cause leading.

Accurate Molds #50-488M Shoots awesome in my Rice 1:24 Twist .50 :lewis: I will try a few of my Lighter Bullets next, My Bullshop 450-460 Grain, the i Bullet, and maybe the Lyman Plains as well.

3 Shot Group, 60 Yards, 85 Grains of Swiss 2F, with .54 Cal 1/8ā€ Thick Wool felt Wads
ktqf2Dt.jpg
Does Accurate Molds have a copy of the Bullshop 460?

Does Accurate Molds have a copy of the Bullshop 460?

Yes, I sent an Original Bullshop Bullet to Accurate Molds and had Him Copy it as close as he could, He got it SPOT ON :lewis: I ended up having it Made different though, I did away with the Taper Design since i size per Gun, and the Bevel Base. The Original Bullshop is a REALLY LARGE Bullet, Dan of Bullsop Sizes them to your Bore on Request, Straight from the Mold they are BIG

Accurate Molds #51-450M
BQ2c9sP.jpg

Yes, I sent an Original Bullshop Bullet to Accurate Molds and had Him Copy it as close as he could, He got it SPOT ON :lewis: I ended up having it Made different though, I did away with the Taper Design since i size per Gun, and the Bevel Base. The Original Bullshop is a REALLY LARGE Bullet, Dan of Bullsop Sizes them to your Bore on Request, Straight from the Mold they are BIG

Accurate Molds #51-450M
BQ2c9sP.jpg
Lew what are you using to size your .50 cal bullets?

Lew what are you using to size your .50 cal bullets?

I have Several Lee Push through Sizers (For Reloading Press) i also have Hankins Stainless adjustable Sizers in .45 & .50, The adjustable sizers are really nice for Fine adjustments like my 1:20 Alloy Target Bullets where i am looking for a Precise Fit.

Back