1-28'' twist Renegade Barrel???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am all for companies cashing in on something that will make money, but it sure is a shame that Green Mountain dropped all fast twist muzzleloader barrels when they started making AR-15 barrels for government contracts. The rumor that I heard from the internet when I got my barrel last year was that Green Mountain found a stash of them in storage somewhere and listed them for clearance prices to get rid of them. They showed around 100 or so when they listed them and they sold FAST!!!

I just sent you a PM :lewis:

He left the Building without a Response?

I payed 76 Bucks for my COMPLETE GM LRH .45 Cal Straight from GM, Same kind of Deal as jmball spoke of, They had been sitting on them forever and Wanted Rid of them at whatever they could get

The looks on people's faces are priceless when you explain that the first long range matches where actually fired with percussion lock fast twist target rifles and not metallic cartridges. Everyone that I know thinks you have to have a falling block or a bolt action centerfire to shoot 1,000 yards. I am involved in modern NRA Highpower competition and I have seen what can be done by highly skilled shooters who know how to read the wind shooting entry level match rifle equipment vs. novices or mediocre shooters shooting top of the line equipment. Spoiler Alert - it ain't even close. Its just like Idaholewis said here and in other posts I have seen by him, a properly spec'd barrel that is properly fitted to the stock shooting a tuned load can shoot with any inline. Its all in the shooter and the tuning of the equipment.

The looks on people's faces are priceless when you explain that the first long range matches where actually fired with percussion lock fast twist target rifles and not metallic cartridges. Everyone that I know thinks you have to have a falling block or a bolt action centerfire to shoot 1,000 yards. I am involved in modern NRA Highpower competition and I have seen what can be done by highly skilled shooters who know how to read the wind shooting entry level match rifle equipment vs. novices or mediocre shooters shooting top of the line equipment. Spoiler Alert - it ain't even close. Its just like Idaholewis said here and in other posts I have seen by him, a properly spec'd barrel that is properly fitted to the stock shooting a tuned load can shoot with any inline. Its all in the shooter and the tuning of the equipment.

AMEN!! :lewis:

The Old Sidelocks are BADLY misunderstood by many. I give them the Edge over Production inlines, Simply the Trigger alone. I hear this and i LAUGH “KNIGHT HAS TIMNEY TRIGGERS” BIG DEAL??? Those Timney Triggers Wouldn’t make a Pimple on a Sidelock Set Trigger, It’s not even close!! Ask ANY SERIOUS Competitive Shooter how important a HIGH QUALITY trigger is? It’s HUGE!

Hmmmm...If I didn't know any better I would think that an item was sold outside of the Classified Forum by someone that didn't have the necessary post count and days to qualify...

I am not trying to do an end run around the rules. I am a member of another muzzleloader board and a couple of other hunting forums and have never had an issue with rules violations. I was just letting people know what I had to help someone out. If this gets me in trouble, I will see myself out the door and you won't have to worry about it any more. I would rather stay here and contribute to this forum and learn from the members here. I have read many posts here over the past year or two from google searches while researching paper patching and gun builds, and I enjoyed the content of this site enough to join. If you go back and read, I said that I would wait until I hit post count and time if needed. I did not join this forum to only sell things or bend rules to benefit myself. I apologize if anyone gets bent out of shape over this "incident". Also, tone and attitude do not convey through text on a computer screen at all. This is not meant as a smart-a** reply, just an attempt to clarify.

Well, the search is over. I finally got my 1-28'' twist Renegade barrel. Not only the barrel, but an entire gun. (Thankyou Sabotloader) Took a while for the US Postal Service to get it to me. I'm guessing due to the holiday season and all. Made the trip from Idaho to Maryland in one piece and the gun looks great. The Green Mountain Barrel is a thing of beauty .Can't wait til I get a chance to shoot it.

YXLMmz6.jpg

Gt8SrMk.jpg

NICE RIFLE!! Glad to see you got it :lewis: I know Precisely How to get the Most out of that Critter ;) It will need a Slightly Hardened Bullet. The Stainless GM LRH Barrels i have, and Know of, Don’t like PURE Soft Lead. I am confident The Reason Bullshop Dan’s Bullets Shot well in that Rifle, is Dan keeps the Solder Joints and ads it to his Lead.

FYI for you fast twist barrel sidelock fans. I spoke with Scott at Colerain barrels about quotes for a fast twist barrel blank just after the Christmas break. I originally wanted a 15/16" across the flats 28" long .50 cal with 5/8"-18 breech threads and 1:28" twist. He quoted a decent amount less than $200 (out of respect to him, I am not posting the actual amount in case his quote will be different for someone else). I changed my mind and wanted to go with a .45 cal in 1:20" twist, but he didn't have a cutter head that could working in that small of bore in that tight of twist at the moment. Just sharing this info in case someone is looking for a barrel maker. I am going to have to contact either Oregon or Rice to get what I need for my current build, but had I stayed with my original idea I would have went with Colerain.

Latest posts

Back