1-28'' twist Renegade Barrel???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI for you fast twist barrel sidelock fans. I spoke with Scott at Colerain barrels about quotes for a fast twist barrel blank just after the Christmas break. I originally wanted a 15/16" across the flats 28" long .50 cal with 5/8"-18 breech threads and 1:28" twist. He quoted a decent amount less than $200 (out of respect to him, I am not posting the actual amount in case his quote will be different for someone else). I changed my mind and wanted to go with a .45 cal in 1:20" twist, but he didn't have a cutter head that could working in that small of bore in that tight of twist at the moment. Just sharing this info in case someone is looking for a barrel maker. I am going to have to contact either Oregon or Rice to get what I need for my current build, but had I stayed with my original idea I would have went with Colerain.
How's the search going for that barrel? I sent a couple requests to Rice about one for my Hawken but haven't heard anything from them yet. It's been about 2 weeks.

Honestly, its kind of a stand still for the moment. I have been really focused on trying to get my side business started. I do leather working on the side and I finally got business licenses and such so that I can try to make extra money. Maybe in another month or 2 I can get back on the barrel search.

Bobby Hoyt could probably build you a .45 cal fast twist. He did a .50 cal with 1:24 for my brother in law.

I never heard of Bobby Hoyt until this thread. Looking at the map I can see that I only live about 40 minutes from him. We both live close to the Mason Dixon Line. He is in Pennsyltuckey, I am in Maryland. This is good to know.

I'm not sure what he charges to build a new one from scratch, but he is very reasonable to have a bad bore reamed out to a larger caliber and re-rifled. Last time I checked with him for that it was $125 + shipping.

Bro in law only paid about 300 more than I did for a hawken rifle from John Bergmann. That included fitting the barrel to his stock so he has a 2 barrel gun.
I cant say exactly how much just the barrel was.
We got them in 2014.

So, I have a GM 50 cal 1:28 twist barrel for my percussion T/C Hawken. What should I be thinking as far as bullets and loads for this. I purchased this with deer hunting in mind. My experience with muzzleloaders consists of a single trip to the range and 10 shots but I have extensive experience with centerfire reloading and shooting. I do not currently cast my own bullets and don't see that happening any time soon.

Any and all advice welcome.

So, I have a GM 50 cal 1:28 twist barrel for my percussion T/C Hawken. What should I be thinking as far as bullets and loads for this. I purchased this with deer hunting in mind. My experience with muzzleloaders consists of a single trip to the range and 10 shots but I have extensive experience with centerfire reloading and shooting. I do not currently cast my own bullets and don't see that happening any time soon.

Any and all advice welcome.

If you dig back through this Sidelock Section you will find LOTS of info on the GM 50 Cal LRH Barrels, i shoot the GM LRH Barreled Sidelocks almost Exclusively, And have been on this Forum AVIDLY adding to this Sidelock Section since 2017

I HIGHLY advise Bullshop Bullets, the .504-460s, Dan will size them to whatever your Barrel needs? (Probably .501-.502) And Bullshop’s NASA Bullet Lube is some of the Very Best Stuff i have ever used. I also SWEAR by the use of a Wool Felt Over Powder Wad with a Grease Groove Bullet, These go Between the Powder, and Bullet Base. They create a Gas Seal Behind the Bullet, and Protect the Bullet Base. Pour your Powder in, Push one of these Wads down on top of the Powder, Then push your Bullet Down and seat it Firmly. I use Swiss Real Blackpowder, i prefer the 2F Grade. I don’t know a Lot about the Substitute Powders so I can’t be much help there. I have Shot Triple Seven 3F with GOOD Results, if i had to use a Substitute Powder Triple Seven 3F would be my Choice

Here they are, Except I prefer .54s in my .50 Cals for the Oversize, extra Seal. I use Store Bought Wool Felt Wads Mostly, Oxyoke Brand. Like this
7Klk2fCl.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Yes, since buying my Hawkin I have been reading all of the old threads trying to learn as much as I can.

I am using Goex 2f and RB's for now but want to try the fast barrel in preparation for deer season. Although the choices are not as varied as they are for CF rifles there are still a great deal of choices.

Back