1:32 twist/harvester/powder questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLP

Reaction score
I have an old traditions buckhunter pro .50 cal w 24" barrel and 1:32 twist..It has the 209 upgrade..after my research I've decided to go with bh209,and Harvester 300gr scorpion pt gold's.This gun has previously struggled with sabots but hear the crusher sabots make a Big difference..it seems the 1:32 falls in a place where it's not that good with conical or sabots..previously this gun shot best (which wasn't good) with heavier bullets ,but I remain hopeful lol..anyways my last factor is powder..I'm thinking that if I go with the lower 80gr by volume charge it should push the scorpion around 1650fps..I'm hoping that the slower load will actually increase in accuracy.This gun is only intended to be used out to around 100yds..So has anyone got any history with the 1:32 and scorpion pt golds,and in your opinion do you think backing off the powder will also
Help accuracy..

if that is a plunger type action, bh209 is not recommended, to much blow back.

dr1445 said:
if that is a plunger type action, bh209 is not recommended, to much blow back.
Wow I never even thought of that..It is a plunger style.That changes the game plan..lol..my 13yr old was going to be using it and I don't want to chance anything with him.thanks

There is a lot of good info in multiple threads about BH in plunger guns. Some of the most experienced ML shooters on these pages will tell you that light loads of BH should be okay in plunger guns. Remember, all plunger guns have blowback. The issue with BH is the the pressure curve when it burns is longer than other ML propellants. This means the the plunder will experience a longer pressure load. But note that the pressures aren't higher. I have had BH "re-cock" the plunger on my Knight plunger gun at 100 grains of powder. I scaled my loads back to and had no problems. However I also shoot only T7 now because for me, it is a better choice than BH. I suggest you have a look at some of the threads about BH and decide for yourself. Also you could PM Sabotloader. He is a gentleman, and excellent teacher, and is always will to help folks new to the sport.

nothing wrong with 209 primers in a plunger but it makes a for a very dirty action. #11 caps are generally cleaner and i never had a problem with percussion caps setting off bp or subs.

To get a good shooting bullet in a sabot for your 1 in 32 twist you need a bit shorter bullet. You might try 230 grain and 200 grain bullets.

I have an old traditions buckhunter pro .50 cal w 24" barrel and 1:32 twist..It has the 209 upgrade..after my research I've decided to go with bh209,and Harvester 300gr scorpion pt gold's.This gun has previously struggled with sabots but hear the crusher sabots make a Big difference..it seems the 1:32 falls in a place where it's not that good with conical or sabots..previously this gun shot best (which wasn't good) with heavier bullets ,but I remain hopeful lol..anyways my last factor is powder..I'm thinking that if I go with the lower 80gr by volume charge it should push the scorpion around 1650fps..I'm hoping that the slower load will actually increase in accuracy.This gun is only intended to be used out to around 100yds..So has anyone got any history with the 1:32 and scorpion pt golds,and in your opinion do you think backing off the powder will also
Help accuracy..
I am a beginner on muzzleloaders and have the Traditions Buckhunter 50 cal 1-32 twist, so would you please let me know about the loads with Hodgdon Pyrodex 50 gr pellets as the minimal load and the maximum load using Remimngton Premier AccuTip Bullets 250 gr, thanks so much.

209 primers, preferable for hunt and want do discover the limitations during range time.

If shooting pellets, I would try two 50 grain pellets and Winchester Triple Seven primers made for muzzleloaders. If the Premier AccuTip bullets are the same as the Barnes 250 grain TEZ bullets, they should make for a very good hunting bullet. I'm not a fan of pellets, they will work but are expensive and you can't vary your charge as much as you can with loose powder such as Triple Seven or Pyrodex.

Make sure you wet/dry patch between shots at the range and let your barrel cool some before loading for the next shot. When you are done shooting, clean your muzzleloader as soon as you can, Pyrodex residue is very corrosive and will badly pit your barrel.

Latest posts

Back