1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade (PRB & “i Bullet” Testing)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great shooting as always mate!

Whenever you get a chance can you please shoot me a quick pm, I see you must be mixed out again so I can't send one through.

What kind of scope base is on the pictured rifle? On my phone, it looks like you attached a section of Picatinny rail to the top of the Renegade's barrel? Or, is that a Thompson/Center base that attaches using the 2 rear sight screw holes, and the factory scope base hole that is drilled & tapped into the breech plug?

Also, is the scope offset to the left to allow the ocular bell of the scope to clear the hammer of the lock?

Thanks.
The owner of the gunshop snapbang recommended had this base on the shelf (only one ) or I would have kept the other one (twin of this gun) had he had a 2nd base ! It is an original in the TC packing model #9953 weaver style base .
He D+T the barrel and installed the base before sending both guns , yes to offsets (Leupold 2x7) fits nice .Wish I could find another as side locks are all I hunt with and my eyes would limit my shots to 75 yds thou I shoot well enough long range with Lee Shavers venier /globe combination/Ed

Well I've seen some gents talking down IdahoLewis on his knowledge of shooting! I took interest in his explanation of the accuracy problems with the maxiball. He had hit the nail on the head about the lube only in the rear most band. I never was pleased with the performance of the bullet for years, powder changes, lube changes, gun changes, alloy changes all to mediocre at best groups. I casted 26 370 gr. maxis and used lamb tallow-bees wax-mink oil mix only in the rear groove and was very impressed, at 50 yds 85 gr. 3f goex and a felt wad over powder I had the last 4 shots covered by a half dollar. The first 10 or so were used to bring the rear sight up from round ball patterns, Before 50 yds. I sent 5 at 100 yds all 18" low but all in a 31/2" circle so moved to 50 to better adjust the sights. Lweis thanks again for the great info on that bullet!

The owner of the gunshop snapbang recommended had this base on the shelf (only one ) or I would have kept the other one (twin of this gun) had he had a 2nd base ! It is an original in the TC packing model #9953 weaver style base .
He D+T the barrel and installed the base before sending both guns , yes to offsets (Leupold 2x7) fits nice .Wish I could find another as side locks are all I hunt with and my eyes would limit my shots to 75 yds thou I shoot well enough long range with Lee Shavers venier /globe combination/Ed
Im glad to see someone else with a scope on a renegade. Im planning to scope one of mine.

Some people I feel are jealous of Lew's knowledge and ability to shoot. I have complete faith in what Lew says in what he does and can do with Sidelocks. A lot of us, myself included have learned a great deal from the time and effort Lew puts into shooting, answering questions, and creating his fantastic videos. If people don't like what Lew says or how he does things, that's fine, then go do what you want. A lot of us including myself will take Lew's knowledge and experience to the bank!

This is from Fridays shoot ,sighting in one of the 2 I got (thanks snapbang) 90 grains OE 3f with my 54 cal Lyman Plains/pure lead with a felt wad / Idaholewis (secret NASA modified) lube . Once I got on paper and got the 3 shot group I figured I will probably kill some deer with it, as long as I get someone to haul the bench!View attachment 16260View attachment 16261
Can't quite make out your mount setup but, I'm onboard with it. I'm going to give peep sights a try once Lewis or someone gives me a good explanation of proper sight picture with them, but I believe most of my rifles are destined to wear scopes in the near future.

I'll gladly buy the other base if you can PM me the contact info for the shop.

Some people I feel are jealous of Lew's knowledge and ability to shoot. I have complete faith in what Lew says in what he does and can do with Sidelocks. A lot of us, myself included have learned a great deal from the time and effort Lew puts into shooting, answering questions, and creating his fantastic videos. If people don't like what Lew says or how he does things, that's fine, then go do what you want. A lot of us including myself will take Lew's knowledge and experience to the bank!
Im certainly a bit jealous of his knowledge and ability. :theman: But more jealous of how much time he gets to spend shooting.:elmer:Lewis has for certain helped me improve my own abilities and skkill level. Thx.

Im glad to see someone else with a scope on a renegade. Im planning to scope one of mine.
There's a guy named Ralph (Ralph's Gunshop) just outside of Pinkney that usually has a dozen or so old TC's on the rack and most of them have scope mounts. You might give him a shout if you need some already set up. I don't think he has any mounts by themselves but ypu can ask.

There's a guy named Ralph (Ralph's Gunshop) just outside of Pinkney that usually has a dozen or so old TC's on the rack and most of them have scope mounts. You might give him a shout if you need some already set up. I don't think he has any mounts by themselves but ypu can ask.
I'll have to look him up. Not far from me but I've never heard of him.

I'm not jealous of Lewis' shooting ability, but I do wish the knowledge that he shares had been readily available 40 years ago when I started with muzzleloaders. It was there, but it wasn't something available in my neck of the woods.

🤣
PyR4AOI.jpg

If you missed it I said I"d own both 54 s if there had been a 2nd base !/Ed

I have them in Blued & Silver, In packages and not. I have been contemplating sending 1 down to Murphy‘s precision in Boise and seeing if Cameron could Copy it, in Steel that is :lewis: I would want all Steel, Steel Rings like Leupold Mark 4s on a Solid Steel Base, Torqued down to 65 inch pounds, Makes for a VERY Repeatable ON & OFF setup, Which is INVALUABLE with a Sidelock ML where the Scope has to be Removed every time for Cleaning
https://www.murphyprecision.com/

I have them in Blued & Silver, In packages and not. I have been contemplating sending 1 down to Murphy‘s precision in Boise and seeing if Cameron could Copy it, in Steel that is :lewis: I would want all Steel, Steel Rings like Leupold Mark 4s on a Solid Steel Base, Torqued down to 65 inch pounds, Makes for a VERY Repeatable ON & OFF setup, Which is INVALUABLE with a Sidelock ML where the Scope has to be Removed every time for Cleaning

Lewis,
Please let me know if you are successful in getting the Thompson/Center scope base duplicated in steel. I would be on board for at least two such bases, perhaps more.

I am assuming that you are referring to the T/C factory bases for Weaver-style scope rings that are offset to the left to allow for clearance between the ocular bell of a scope, and the hammer of the lock? Said bases that mount on the barrel using both of the screw holes for the rear sight, and a third screw hole that is drilled & tapped into the top of the breech plug?

Another gunsmith that might be able to fabricate the T/C scope base in steel would be....

Dove's Custom Guns
Jerry Dove (proprietor)
272 New Hope Road
Princeton, West Virginia 24740
1-304-425-2023
www.doveguns.com
[email protected]

I know that he has done a lot with Richard Mann as regards to Scout Rifles.

It's possible that Mr. Dove could lengthen the T/C offset scope base so that it would be capable of mounting both conventional scopes, as well as forward-mounted Scout scopes.

Such a base might require a couple of additional screws, over the standard 3 screws, but having the additional holes drilled and tapped into the barrel would be a small price to pay for the added versatility.

I would be interested in such steel bases if the slots were machined to STANAG standards. For use with either the Leupold Mark 4 rings, or Talley Q-D lever Picatinny steel rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be in for a couple too ! I would do the same but I need the only one I have ,like eating meat :elmer:

429 Grains Cast of PURE Lead, I do Lube both Grooves :lewis: The ONLY Bullet that I don’t Lube all Grooves on is the TC Maxi Ball, I lube the Bottom Groove Only on them
Do you buy or cast your "I bullet" ?
Either way who do you get them from or what mold is it your using ?
Appreciate the videos!

Back