10 ml2 breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Could use some advise about what too buy. I have a 10ml 2 savage muzzleloader. I was looking to buy an extra breech plug. Should I buy the standard stock one or the one from Luke at arrowhead? He makes his with the bushing instead of the vent liner. What is the advantages of Luke's? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

If I was buying a replacement I would get the bushing plug. The bushing lasts much longer than a vent liner so you have less to be concerned about wear in that area.

If I was buying a replacement I would get the bushing plug. The bushing lasts much longer than a vent liner so you have less to be concerned about wear in that area.
Thanks Jim for the information. Do you know if it would shoot more accurate or seal the breach better?

Luke's plug is probably your best bet, just talk to him to make sure you get the correct one because he makes 3 or 4 for the Savage. I had a couple made years ago by a guy on here named Pete. I think he owns Pete's Machine Shop or something like that. Anyway, his plugs have a pressed in tungsten bushing. The bushing isn't removable but I'll never burn it out. Somebody on the smokeless forum will know how to contact him. I will tell you that I had him make one of my plugs with a flat face for pellets because that's what I shoot the most of in the ML2. Luke's plug has a concave face and would be great for loose powder, which is what most people are going to use. I would be careful using pellets with his plug simply because you could very easily crack or break a pellet which could cause some ignition or accuracy problems. I don't think it would create a dangerous situation, just some reliability issues. Don't worry about it if you don't plan to use pellets. One last thing, make sure you use anti-seize on a stainless plug to prevent galling.

Last edited:
Luke's plug is probably your best bet, just talk to him to make sure you get the correct one because he makes 3 or 4 for the Savage. I had a couple made years ago by a guy on here named Pete. I think he owns Pete's Machine Shop or something like that. Anyway, his plugs have a pressed in tungsten bushing. The bushing isn't removable but I'll never burn it out. Somebody on the smokeless forum will know how to contact him. I will tell you that I had him make one of my plugs with a flat face for pellets because that's what I shoot the most of in the ML2. Luke's plug has a concave face and would be great for loose powder, which is what most people are going to use. I would be careful using pellets with his plug simply because you could very easily crack or break a pellet which could cause some ignition or accuracy problems. I don't think it would create a dangerous situation, just some reliability issues. Don't worry about it if you don't plan to use pellets. One last thing, make sure you use anti-seize on a stainless plug to prevent galling.
Thanks Brant for the info. Here in UPSTATE n.y. we can use smokeless powders so I am trying a variety of powder/bullet combinations. What I found was that my breechplug was carbon fouled really bad. It was so hard that I thought it was metal. After reading in the savage manual about correct drill bit size to clean out the breechplug did I realize how bad it was. So I want to buy another for a spare. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it kindly....

I have used a variety of BPs in my Savages. I never saw any difference in accuracy with any of them. Because of the sealing design of the BP of mine, not rear sealing, long term sealing is problematic.

Thanks Jim. That is what I was thinking also. Between the threads and the never seize that is about the best seal your going to get..

For what it's worth I contacted Lehigh this week to ask about there 209 conversion for my DISC. In conversation I asked about breech plugs for my ML2 as well. I was told that whilst they don't produce a plug for the ML2 at the moment they are in the process of introducing one in the 3rd quarter of 2021.

That is good news. I recently purchased 1 from Arrowhead, the one with the bushing. Looks good but have not had a chance to use it yet. Thx.

Could use some advise about what too buy. I have a 10ml 2 savage muzzleloader. I was looking to buy an extra breech plug. Should I buy the standard stock one or the one from Luke at arrowhead? He makes his with the bushing instead of the vent liner. What is the advantages of Luke's? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
Try Badger Ridge Industries

I've been looking at replacement / spare breech plugs and ended up looking at LRMP conversions for my own Savage 10 ml2. In particular I've been considering PR Bullets Variflame conversion and Arrowheads Large Rifle Primer Ignition System. I'm thinking that I am going to go with the Arrowhead system because it allows me to headspace the BP. The Variflame system seems to have no means of adjusting headspace in the event of leakage and the idea of using high pressure O rings is not a road I want to go down. Having open sights I don't want to adjust the headspace by turning the barrel

Does anyone on this thread have experience of these LRMP systems and if so, what was your opinion. Has anybody looked at them and decided that 209 was just fine? Is the improvement in performance worth the investment? Can someone throw in their 2 cents worth please.

I have not shot my gun with the new breech plug that I bought from Luke, at arrowhead. I got the one that takes 209 primers and has a removal tungsten carbide bushing. I also bought vent liners from badger that are better than savages, harder material, that I have used with great results.

I just got a breech plug tool from Badger Ridge and the guy was really helpful. I haven't had my gun that long and I'm intending staying with the 209 plug for now until I have enough experience with it to make a decision. I'm just interested in other peoples experiences with the different plug systems and I wonder how many have actually swapped over to large rifle primer systems.

I think it depends on how much you intend to shoot. The bushing may add to longevity but if you are like me where it is primarily for hunting and I shoot it 15-30 times a year vent liners last for ever ( years) and are very easy to replace, just a really simple process and system

A 209 bushing plug is like $80 and holds up way better than vent. A lot depends on the load. Huge loads of slower powders will easily eat up vent liners fast.

Last edited:
A 209 bushing plug is like $80 and holds up way better than vent. A lot depends on the load. Huge loads of slower powders will easily eat up vent liners fast.

Can you be a little more specific ?
I just happened to find a load I am happy with in a Newly aquired Bullet Fury LT 300 grains
And am about 20 rounds into a new vent liner..
Charge is VV120 - 60 Grains..
How many rounds would you say it should last ?

Get a set of torch tip cleaners. Use just the smooth part. NOT THE ROUGH SECTION. Find the largest tip that fits and measure it. Once the flash hole gets to .036-.037 the vent liner is done.

How many rounds would you say it should last ?

40-50 tops more like 20-30. Its just not the powder. As carbon builds in the flash CHANNEL, the volume is reduced and less gas can flow back. This is assuming the primer isnt leaking a ton around the edges. Less gas entering the channel equals less erosion but more pressure on the primer. Its a good idea to keep the flash channel clean with a 5/32 drill bit but at the same time it can speed up vent liner wear.

Latest posts

Back