10 ml2 breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a breech plug tool from Badger Ridge and the guy was really helpful. I haven't had my gun that long and I'm intending staying with the 209 plug for now until I have enough experience with it to make a decision. I'm just interested in other peoples experiences with the different plug systems and I wonder how many have actually swapped over to large rifle primer systems.
I no longer have an ML2 but I don't know of any way to use either DI or HIS or Lukes lrmp systems without being able to headspace with the barrel. I am using HIS in my bolt action SAV/BRUX and DI in my Scout conversion and would never go back to 209 myself. 209 is a good system when properly headspaced. If you shoot a lot it may be worth a rebarrel or shorten the breech end and have a rear sealing plug put in. It is all $$ relevant though but like high end scopes buy once cry once. I wish I had glass equal to what $$ I have in my bolt action.

Vent liners should be replaced when they open to .036 or more. We sell gage pins if you don't want to do the stick something like a torch tip cleaner through and measure it thing...

The older vent liners (black flat heads) were good for 40-50 shots. Then Lehigh made them out of what they said was "mil spec" alloy: might get 100 shot out of them if they were heat treated. They heat treated the ones we sold, and didn't heat treat the ones that got soldered into knight breech plugs.

Now we get them from Lehigh in 17-4 stainless, heat treated and carbonited. They are lasting much longer... like 100-150 shots. I have one customer saying he has 300 shots on one of our stainless and it still is under .036... I haven't proven this out myself yet. Just haven't been able to shoot that much... and don't want to burn up the Black Horn 209 I have.

For me, as a hunter, I'd get a Savage BP with the vent liner. You can buy a lot of the stainless vent liners from us and a gage pin for what you'd save over the carbide busing BP.... enough that most folks will never shoot them all out.

But I'm biased in that I do sell the vent liners.. but they just make more sense to me.

A new bushing is about $31. The one in my Savage Pacnor 45 is several years old. I can assure you its seen peak pressures higher than any Savage 50cal book load and the bushing is still going strong. Those same loads would toast even a Lehigh vent within 30 shots.

I once priced having some inconel ventliners made but at $240 for 6 of them I abandoned that idea. I believe 1 would have lasted a long time it would not be a better option than the bushings that are now being offered. I guess how much you shoot would determine which option is best for you.

I still use the Lehigh vents in a couple Knights and they last plenty long with BH209 loads. Its when you crank it up to loads like you see in the Paramount or customs that BH209 will ruin vent liners fast. They are pretty good even in most 50cal SML loads too.

Hello all,
ive had and deer hunted with a ML2 for many years. What is the source for the stock, Savage BP?

I think mine came from Arrowhead, but it’s just a regular old 209 plug with a vent liner. No complaints.

Received my Breech Plug tool and vent liners for my Savage from Badger Ridge Industries. Shipped quick and parts look great. Good people to deal with.

Also got my Breech Plug and tap and drill from Arrowhead. Great Folks as well.

Now is the time to get out there and "slowly" punch some paper!

So far so good for me, I purchased a 4 pack of S10ML ll vent liners for $20, I get 30-40 shots easy. I have the ZZ gage (.036) when that fits I change it out. Vent liners have a channel opening of approx .030 when new. On another note I'd like to try Badgers SS vent liners, anyone like those better?

Back