15/16" vs 1" .54 cal Green Mountain barrel and Green Mountain vs Colerain barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf172

Reaction score
Hi all. First. Just got an email from Doug at Pecatoinia Rivers about their Underhammer kit and what's available right now. They don't have any 1X36" Green Mountain (GM) in .54 cal barrels in stock and he said that GM won't be making any ML barrels in that configuration for at least 2 months. He does have a 15/16X36" GM barrel in .54 in stock OR a 3/4"x 16" Colerain in .54 cal. Never heard of Colerain. Is the 15/16 GM barrel just as strong and accurate compared to the 1" barrel and what about the Colerain? I really like the 1 in 70" twist in the GM barrels compared to the 1 in 56" in the Colerain. So I need some expert advise and opinions.

I dont believe the 1" is any more accurate than 15/16". The perceived accuracy comes from a heavier barrel that would help reduce recoil. Like many things it's what you're use to and how consistent you are with your shooting technique.

Your right about a heavier barrel taking longer to heat up. I guess it comes down to your intent. Do you plan on using it as a target rifle where multiple shots will be taken or a say a hunting rifle that once sighted in will only be used to take that one important shot at game.

I would go with green mountain because they use 1137 steel. Colerain uses 12L14.

I would probably opt for the lighter barrel just because of the way the barrel is attched to what would be considered the receiver of that particular model. I don't know if their version uses a tapered pin through the breech plug or if they use 3 set screws. Both work but neither is as strong as threading the plug and the receiver and screwing them together. I'm not sure which would put more stress on the joint, recoil from a light barrel or the sheer weight of a heavy barrel.

I just made a similar decision n went with 15/16” for weight reduction. I have shoulder n back issues and when it comes to toting a gun I like the lighter weight and quicker handling. I’ve been toting a 7/8” .45 cal this deer season n it’s like carrying a .22 compared to the bigger barrels. If I was to just sit at the range I’d go thicker to reduce recoil. Between Colerain n GM I’d go Colerain personally as I’ve been seeing some qc issues with GM. But the custom hawken I’m having built now will have a Rice barrel just to confuse the issue further😎

I just made a similar decision n went with 15/16” for weight reduction. I have shoulder n back issues and when it comes to toting a gun I like the lighter weight and quicker handling. I’ve been toting a 7/8” .45 cal this deer season n it’s like carrying a .22 compared to the bigger barrels. If I was to just sit at the range I’d go thicker to reduce recoil. Between Colerain n GM I’d go Colerain personally as I’ve been seeing some qc issues with GM. But the custom hawken I’m having built now will have a Rice barrel just to confuse the issue further😎
Well since I'm getting the Underhammer kit from Pecatoncia Rifles I'm pretty much stuck with either a GM or Colerain. I have never heard of Colerain so I have no clue as to how good they are or the kind of rifling they use nothing except their ROT is 1-56". I have heard that they have to be clean after 3-4 shots. I want to use patched round ball so the slow twist, 1-70", is more to my liking. I also pretty sure Doug at Pecatoniac will have a good GM barrel for me.

Since you are Shooting Patched Roundball I doubt you will notice much, if any Difference between 15/16 and 1”

Most of my Barrels are Fast Twist, I shoot Heavy Bullets almost exclusively in my Rifles, I have Both 15/16” and 1” Barrels, I prefer my 1” Barrels, be it Shooting from my Bench, or Packing the Rifle for several Miles a Day Elk Hunting, I especially like my 1” Barrels in .50 & .54 Caliber.

Doug is working on UH # 4 for me right now. I have 3 complete all with switch bbl option from 36-54 cal. 1-48 thru 1-66 twist. I had my own H&A NOS and Bauska bbls save the one in the pics. It's a Colrain with 50 and 54 1-56s. Haven't shot the 54 but the 50 shoots better than I can hold it...Trader AKA Mossie

Attachments

• P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I am new to this site but I can say that all three companies make great barrels. I have built rifles with all three barrels for myself and clients over the years and have never had an issue with any of them. My smooth bore is a 20 ga. Colraine octagon to round 44" that consistently wins matches with a patched round ball as well as takes wild turkey out to 35 yards with a load of mixed #4&5 shot. Haven't taken a deer with it yet but I'm sure it will get the job done when the time comes. I have a .45 long rifle with a swamped Green Mountain, "B" weight barrel that kills deer at any range I have asked it to, (within reason, longest shot in the woods was 58 yards, out in the field was about 87yards) as well as winning matches with shots out of center by .002! (Offhand) My wife shoots a .45 Hawken rifle with a Rice barrel, it has that round bottom rifling that makes cleaning very easy and she has never had any issues with it on the range or in the field, many targets and many deer. It really depends on the shooter's skills and what he/ she may be comfortable with.

Since you are Shooting Patched Roundball I doubt you will notice much, if any Difference between 15/16 and 1”

Most of my Barrels are Fast Twist, I shoot Heavy Bullets almost exclusively in my Rifles, I have Both 15/16” and 1” Barrels, I prefer my 1” Barrels, be it Shooting from my Bench, or Packing the Rifle for several Miles a Day Elk Hunting, I especially like my 1” Barrels in .50 & .54 Caliber.
Does someone sell your barrels as "drop in"??

Colrain's 1-56" twist is awesome for competition rifles since less powder is needed to achieve good stabilization but if you are wanting a hard hitting hunting gun the slower twist would likely work better with 80-100 grain loads. My .45 match rifle has a Colrain barrel and is a tack driver at 50 yards using 40 grains FFFg. Paper target doesn't seem to care but wouldn't want to use this load for deer or bigger.

Doug is working on UH # 4 for me right now. I have 3 complete all with switch bbl option from 36-54 cal. 1-48 thru 1-66 twist. I had my own H&A NOS and Bauska bbls save the one in the pics. It's a Colrain with 50 and 54 1-56s. Haven't shot the 54 but the 50 shoots better than I can hold it...Trader AKA Mossie
Beautiful rifle and the old Cabelas coffee mug is nice too!

Back