15/16" vs 1" .54 cal Green Mountain barrel and Green Mountain vs Colerain barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colerain Barrel Co. is 2 guys I know personally. Scott Keller and Scott Kelly. Haven't spoken to them in quite a while, so I'm assuming they are still in command of the business. They make barrels in little Spruce Creek, PA, and have been for a long time. I've known Scott Keller since he was a teenager. They make really nice barrels, as do Getz, Rice, Green Mountain, and Bobby Hoyt. Don't get wrapped up in barrel material. 12L14 is just swell. When it "gives" it tends to split and vent, as opposed to fragging. It it plenty strong for the purposes of BP muzzleloading.

Ya know Bandicoot, you dont hear much about barrels splitting but they do. I lived just sown the road from Kreiger barrels. I was talking to one of the makers about stainless steel barrels that were a bit thinner. He said when it gets real cold, a barrel can split right up the middle like it was cut with a saw. I posted that in Greybeard outdoors but noone believed me.

Ya know Bandicoot, you dont hear much about barrels splitting but they do. I lived just sown the road from Kreiger barrels. I was talking to one of the makers about stainless steel barrels that were a bit thinner. He said when it gets real cold, a barrel can split right up the middle like it was cut with a saw. I posted that in Greybeard outdoors but noone believed me.
I was standing beside one that did. Fortunately nobody got hurt. Pretty sure it was a short-started patched round ball.

"Ya know Bandicoot, you dont hear much about barrels splitting but they do. I lived just sown the road from Kreiger barrels. I was talking to one of the makers about stainless steel barrels that were a bit thinner. He said when it gets real cold, a barrel can split right up the middle like it was cut with a saw. I posted that in Greybeard outdoors but noone believed me."

The above sounds kind of hard to believe.

At what temperature did he say barrel splitting happens?

How do hunters hunt when it's below zero?

I had a custom "bean field" rifle barrel installed/built (By now defunct arnold arms better than 20yrs ago) & they said krieger wouldn't sell that taper in stainless because of "splitting" so i had the chrome moly installed.. Splitting must be extremely rare however. I understood it to be in really extreme cold weather like maybe arctic ect....Looking at the krieger site i can find no info regarding this caveat. Probably was so rare it was not an issue???maybe or it was an Arnold arms issue.. but thats what they said???

I had a custom "bean field" rifle barrel installed/built (By now defunct arnold arms better than 20yrs ago) & they said krieger wouldn't sell that taper in stainless because of "splitting" so i had the chrome moly installed.. Splitting must be extremely rare however. I understood it to be in really extreme cold weather like maybe arctic ect....Looking at the krieger site i can find no info regarding this caveat. Probably was so rare it was not an issue???maybe or it was an Arnold arms issue.. but thats what they said???

I knew Arnold Arms quite well, But haven’t thought of them in Years. I had a .25-06 Built By them MANY years ago. Ron Cinema (use to work for them) Bought some of their Equipment when they went out of Business, Ron’s Business is called “Benchmark Barrels” I know them well also

I knew Arnold Arms quite well, But haven’t thought of them in Years. I had a .25-06 Built By them MANY years ago. Ron Cinema (use to work for them) Bought some of their Equipment when they went out of Business, Ron’s Business is called “Benchmark Barrels” I know them well also
what i had was a 257 arnold... a bit hotter than 257 weatherby ( i loved the 25's then).. I eventually put the original 257 weatherby barrel back on the rifle because it would be easier for my "heirs" to get factory ammo than learn to make the arnold ammo..

I used to build custom benchrest rifles (centerfire & rimfire) & Benchmark rimfire barrels (22lr) were highly desired & were used on many winning rifles..

"Ya know Bandicoot, you dont hear much about barrels splitting but they do. I lived just sown the road from Kreiger barrels. I was talking to one of the makers about stainless steel barrels that were a bit thinner. He said when it gets real cold, a barrel can split right up the middle like it was cut with a saw. I posted that in Greybeard outdoors but noone believed me."

The above sounds kind of hard to believe.

At what temperature did he say barrel splitting happens?

How do hunters hunt when it's below zero?

Yes it is hard to believe. It only happened with light stainless steel barrels though and when it was colder than -20F. Chrome barrels were never a problem.

Depends on the SS mix. Not all 416 is the same such as the 416R from Crucible is a proprietary alloy. Then you have even better SS for cold such as Lothar Walther LW50 (X20Cr13) . In a smoker though you will never make enough pressure to split any well made 416 or 4140 barrel. It would require a big loading error for a Kaboom.

Back