1858 Revolver Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a replica 1858 revolver that I picked up at a yard sale for $ 20.00 about 30 years ago. The only markings on it are "Made in Italy" stamped on the barrel. It's a .44 cal, new army model.
It was functioning fine until recently, when I discovered a small piece of metal sticking out near the trigger. Now the cylinder will not rotate when you pull back the hammer. I did a little research and see that the cylinder stop is what's broken? It also looks like it might be quite a project to replace. Anybody ever deal with similar problem?

I had a Pietta 1858 never had a single problem with it. I know Pietta and Uberti 1858s are both made in italy. Not all their parts are interchangable. It might take some fitting work once you find the right one. I believe it affects the cylinder timing. Got any pics of it opened up?

Disassembly is not that difficult. Remove the grips and the trigger guard, loosen tensioner screw for the main spring (Holding tension on the hammer) and remove the main spring (Just push at the base), remove trigger and cylinder sop screws, remove trigger and cylinder stop, remove hammer screw and push hammer down into frame, remove small screw holding hand to hammer and pull hammer out from the top. Done. Check the cylinder stop "Legs" and all associated parts for damage.

I had a Pietta 1858 never had a single problem with it. I know Pietta and Uberti 1858s are both made in italy. Not all their parts are interchangable. It might take some fitting work once you find the right one. I believe it affects the cylinder timing. Got any pics of it opened up?
I don't but could take some. I have read that parts are not really interchangeable.

I have heard that some people have "Rugerized the 51s and 58s. Instead of replacing those leaf type springs they mod the gun to take a coil type spring that is much less prone to failure. I'll see if i can find the link. I saw it a few years ago.

I believe your problem is the "hand spring" has broken. I have a Pietta 1858. I had the same thing happen after only a couple of months of use. There are numerous YouTube videos on disassembly. That's how I learned my way around the pistol. I agree with others, they are not difficult to work with/on. You just need common tools. Be sure you have the correct sizes of screw drivers.

I was able to fix my revolver this morning. I received the new hand/spring from Dixie gun works. After watching a few videos on how to disassemble the gun, I was able to take it apart and install the new piece. It was just slightly different from what I had but it works. Best part is it only cost about ten bucks, shipping and all. 20200606_115943.jpg

It's always great to get a piece back in operation. The reasonable cost just adds the icing on the cake. Looks like it's time to go make some smoke!

Back