1860 Volunteer Rifle Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantSFGDS

Reaction score
Greetings all! I just aquired a slightly used Euroarms Volunteer Rifle and I need to order a bullet mould for it. Would the learned amongst y'all recommend the Lyman 457114, 457121 or should I get something from Accurate like a 45-480M or 45-485M that is closer to size from the mould? I know that there is less chance of damaging the bullet during sizing the closer it drops to size from the mould, but the Lymans do work. What say y'all? Maybe IdahoLewis can chime in. Thanks!

I can't say how your Euroarms Volunteer rifle will shoot with the Lyman 457114 or the Accurate 45-485m.
I have the Pedersoli Volunteer rifle and shoot both of those bullets with slightly different powder charges with a hard card on the powder followed by a 50cal felt wad. The felt wad is difficult to load and requires some compression to get it to start.
With pure lead the Lyman drops at 485grs and the Accurate drops at 505grs, both +,- 2 grs. I have to size both to .448dia for a slip fit. My lube to date is a mixture of 50/50 bees wax and olive oil.
Hope this helps,
Kno-ie

I can't say how your Euroarms Volunteer rifle will shoot with the Lyman 457114 or the Accurate 45-485m.
I have the Pedersoli Volunteer rifle and shoot both of those bullets with slightly different powder charges with a hard card on the powder followed by a 50cal felt wad. The felt wad is difficult to load and requires some compression to get it to start.
With pure lead the Lyman drops at 485grs and the Accurate drops at 505grs, both +,- 2 grs. I have to size both to .448dia for a slip fit. My lube to date is a mixture of 50/50 bees wax and olive oil.
Hope this helps,
Kno-ie
Thanks for the info! I read your posts on the other forum, along with everything else I could find. This one has the Henry rifling but it's an Italian barrel. BP Addict had it briefly but he didn't shoot any appropriate bullets through it. I may just get both moulds and see what it prefers.

I've had better luck with a paper patched bullets (Accurate 44-390P and 44-520P) in my gun than the grease grove bullets. With the GG bullets I had leading. By going to the larger dia. wad it cured that issue. My rifling is very shallow which leads me to believe the reason it likes the paper patched bullets over the GG bullet.
Kno-ie

Thanks guys! My only concern with the Lyman is sizing it down so far. I know it can be done in stages. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, lol.

The Lyman 457121 Shoots Excellent in my Muzzleloaders (Lyman calls it their Whitworth Bullet) It is a GOOD Bullet :lewis:
Lewis, what is your opinion about the Accurate 45-480M vs the 45-485M? The only difference is the nose of the 485 is .448 and the 480 nose is .451. Just curious if you had any opinions on what, if any, difference the undersize nose may make? Thanks!

I was mistaking when I noted the mold from Lyman. It is the 451114 that I use not the 457114. The 451114 drops out at .451. Sorry.
Kno-ie

Lewis, what is your opinion about the Accurate 45-480M vs the 45-485M? The only difference is the nose of the 485 is .448 and the 480 nose is .451. Just curious if you had any opinions on what, if any, difference the undersize nose may make? Thanks!

The 485M has a “Bore Rider” Nose, The 480M does not. A bore Rider nose is better suited for Cartridge Guns, With a Bore Rider Nose in a Cartridge gun you can seat the Bullet WAY out of the Case to give you more Powder Capacity. In a Muzzleloader, There is no need, or benefit of using a Bore Rider Nose Bullet, It’s just that much more the Bullet has to Change, take shape upon firing (Bump up) I have a few Bore Rider Nose Bullets that i use in my Muzzleloaders, they shoot well, But are just not needed. If i we’re gonna buy one of the 2 Accurate Mold designs, it would be the 480M

Thanks guys! My only concern with the Lyman is sizing it down so far. I know it can be done in stages. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, lol.

I agree, You are better off to not size that much, .003 or so is PLENTY to size, I am not Crazy about sizing more than that, I have done it With many different Bullets and had Good Luck doing it, But it’s FAR LESS than ideal. You are MUCH better off having a Mold Made that drops the Bullet to what you need. On the safe side, .002-.003 Large of what you need and Size them to Fit your Bore :lewis:

Bullet moulds ordered, along with sights. The hardest thing to find was the goofy rear plate for the tang sight.

Latest posts

Back