195 gr Lehigh sabot suggestion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbuck28

Reaction score
Looking for advice for a sabot for the the 195gr .400 Lehigh bullet. Im running a traditions Vortex strike fire.

I'm guessing you have a 50 cal.?

If so, call or email MMP and Harvester sabots, there is a good chance they will send you samples to try, both did for me.

The Harvester Smooth Blue would be a very good bet if you’re shooting a 45. I believe it’s the Dark Blue if you want to go 50 /40.

I had great luck with the PR bullets, but there all lead. I want an all copper bullet. I’d love a 200 grain barnes, but didn’t have good luck with the XTP expanding.

Barnes makes a 45cal and 44cal 200gr XPB. The BC blows but if that dont matter they are good options. In general i just cant get a 50x40 to shoot worth a hoot when you crank up the speed to make use of the better BC. Plus there are only 2 50x40 sabots. One is pretty tight and the other runs a bit loose.

Tried MMP and harvester and both sabots didn’t really look like they fit the bullet. The harvester looks better but when I punch the bullet down into the sabot it pushes out the peddles almost like the bullet is larger then diameter it was designed for?

Attachments

• 5FA7B489-D856-4983-8448-F8C8063793B0.jpeg
    5FA7B489-D856-4983-8448-F8C8063793B0.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I’m looking at the bloodlines from knight which is from my understanding the same thing I’m trying to do only it’s 220 grains.
also looking at the traditions 200 grain smackdown xr bullets

220gr Bloodlines are a .458 bullet. Lehigh sells a .451 230gr and 2 others (240gr and 265gr) in .452.

Tried MMP and harvester and both sabots didn’t really look like they fit the bullet. The harvester looks better but when I punch the bullet down into the sabot it pushes out the peddles almost like the bullet is larger then diameter it was designed for?

I noticed that too when I first tried a 200 grain SST in those sabots, the fit just didn’t look right but they loaded fine.

I find that little peddle push out comes from the shape of the bottom corner of the sabot cup. Many of the bullets out there have a small round edge at the base heel of the bullet that interrupts with the bottom of the sabot . They just don't quite match . The bullets are of the jacketed type and Hornady, Speer, Nosler. A bullet with a sharp 90 Degree corner on the base seems to fit most sabots better for me.

Latest posts

Back