1st shots with Bestill custom Omega

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I mounted a 3x40x42 Vortex Diamondback HP scope from another rifle onto my BeStill Custom 45 Omega yesterday and today I shot it for the 1st time. I used the powder load Jeff recommended and 275 gn Pittman Accumax bullets. I took 6 shots at 25 yds to get the scope set about 3" high there and then backed out to 100 yds and took 3 shots. The attached target photo was the result. This baby will shoot! I might leave this scope on it. When it dries up some so I don't have to slog through so much mud on my range, which is a bare field, I'm going to try some stout BH209 loads to see how well it shoots and then back out to 200 yds and set my zero there. I am stoked about this rifle!

Attachments

• 20180330_085215-800x600.jpg
    20180330_085215-800x600.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 706
  • 20180330_084833-600x800.jpg
    20180330_084833-600x800.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 705
Great to hear.
Nice.

Fouling in barrel at 9 shots is just now ready to really group.

Looks like now its fouled good little bullet sizing to optimize accuracy and she be a one holer.

Awesome have fun and be safe.

Man, I’d get rid of that rifle QUICK!! It’s going to eliminate another one of your excuses as to why you missed that Buck. :lol:

You got some rifle there!! Enjoy it

Nice shooting

Just a safety reminder to NOT shoot smokeless powder unless specified by the manufacturer themselves .
Steve

gun was built by a professional gunsmith w/a smokeless barrel I believe, so it should be safe with barrel manufacturers/gunsmiths recommended loads.

sbuff said:
Nice shooting

Just a safety reminder to NOT shoot smokeless powder unless specified by the manufacturer themselves .
Steve

dbowling said:
gun was built by a professional gunsmith w/a smokeless barrel I believe, so it should be safe with barrel manufacturers/gunsmiths recommended loads.

sbuff said:
Nice shooting

Steve

I fully understand, others may not as it wasn’t posted in smokeless forum .
Steve

agree

quote="sbuff"]
dbowling said:

sbuff said:
Nice shooting

Steve

I fully understand, others may not as it wasn’t posted in smokeless forum .
Steve[/quote]

Just throwing this out there, but most inline custom folks do use a smokeless qualified barrel and allow 200 grains of BP or Subs. Very few and I have not seen any that approve shooting smokeless in those barrels that are attached to ML receiver.

The barrel is rated smokeless but is the BP and receiver of the rifle are probably NOT.

sabotloader said:
Just throwing this out there, but most inline custom folks do use a smokeless qualified barrel and allow 200 grains of BP or Subs. Very few and I have not seen any that approve shooting smokeless in those barrels that are attached to ML receiver.

The barrel is rated smokeless but is the BP and receiver of the rifle are probably NOT.
I imagine the breechplug is ASG from Luke so it would be smokeless.

My bad for posting in wrong section.
Please move or delete thread.

Gun is absolutely built on approved barrel and plug design and ml rated action definitely sees less pressure now than did before conversion with factory omega plug.
This is specifically built for its purpose.

Do not try this in a factory omega setup.

Sorry for confusion and thanks for watchful eye of members.

Be safe

Bestill is being quite gracious about a post I made. The rifle mentioned is absolutely smokeless capable but my post should not have been made to this forum so I am asking the moderators to remove it to avoid any misunderstandings.

Nice looking setup and shooting... It will only get better.
What were your stock otions for an omega?

Thx

Factory laminate and boyds offers several models

Carbide8 said:
Nice looking setup and shooting... It will only get better.
What were your stock otions for an omega?

Thx
Boyds offers several stock models for TC Omegas and they can be seen on the Boyds web site. TC offered some laminated stocks on factory Omegas when they were produced, if one could find one of them in good shape. There are probably some other aftermarket stocks available, also. I went with the Pro Varmint Boyds after consulting with Jeff and ordered the stock and mounted it on another Omega I have and liked the way it looked and felt. It is a bit thicker than the factory plastic stock in the fore stock and pistol grip, which I liked because I have large hands and I thought the extra heft would be a good match for the heavier Brux barrel.

Good info, thanks for sharing. I was always a sucker for the thumbhole laminate when they came out. Boyds looks like they have options.

What are you shooting for powder and bullets?

Thx

Carbide8 said:
Good info, thanks for sharing. I was always a sucker for the thumbhole laminate when they came out. Boyds looks like they have options.

What are you shooting for powder and bullets?

Thx
Jeff recommends 4198 powder for smokeless loads and 275 gn bullets. So far I have just shot Pittman Accumax bullets but will be trying Parker BEs and Fury FATs.

sabotloader said:

Ignorance, failure to keep up with custom guns and the advancment of muzzleloading on your part. Most of us know you consider BH209 a smokeless muzzleloading powder even though its considered a BP substitute. Its to bad Western Powders does not have you as Pro Staff for discounts or freebies and your views might change.. You promote high priced Lehigh/ Knight bullets(as you receive them free) yet say BH209 is expensive. Get real and honest. Bestill is a Master Gun Maker, he knows whats safe.

sabotloader said:

You are incorrect. This rifle is using a TC Omega trigger/action so there technically is no receiver. The breechplug was designed and manufactured specifically as a smokeless powder approved breechplug, with many other smokeless applications using much larger powder charges than those recommended for this rifle. As already noted, Jeff Fisk is a master gun builder with much experience in building smokeless capable muzzleloaders. This rifle is perfectly safe when used with his recommended loads.

Latest posts

Back