1st time W/ a White

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think muzzlestuffer has the right idea with fitting a thicker recoil lug between the barrel shoulder and receiver. I would be a little leery of having “just anyone” welding on the receiver.

I have a Model 97 that was “accurized” by Doc and the weld on the recoil lug looks like something you’d see in a middle school shop class. It’s held, but let’s just say it’s a good thing it’s hidden by the stock!

Problem with a using thicker recoil blade at point is that it will affect the orientation of your sights.

As one who has set back more than a couple of barrels, this is not difficult. All you need to do is determine the thread pitch of the barrel stub, and set the barrel shoulder back (in a lathe) only enough for one revolution. Make your new recoil lug the same thickness as the old lug, plus the amount the shoulder was set back. Everything will then line up correctly.

The intent is NOT to merely put a “thicker washer” on the existing barrel stub with no other alterations.

Seems simpler and less expensive to me to install a proper lug than to remachining the shoulder to index the barrel.

Last edited:
Look I'm not going to get into a Gunsmithing debate the guy had a issue with the thin recoil lug my solution thicker barrel lug and weld on a action lug how you get there doesn't matter it can be done the way the gunsmith and his customer decides is best.

Yes, and I had the exact same rifle with the exact same problem and simply showed him how a way to fix it that worked great.

Rugerbh103, the guy that put the lug on mine is Marlowe Richards of Orem Utah. He use to make some of the parts for doc. I thought he did a good job, this was about 11 years ago. Shipping was a lot less then.
Hope this helps,
Art

When I received my used Whitetail the thin recoil lug looked liked a potato chip.
The Bell and Carlson stock is very soft and the single action screw allowed the
action to rock with the recoil of heavy loads. When I disassembled the rifle the
area around the lug had compressed due to the soft plastic.
My solution was to add a second action screw at the rear where it should have been
all along. I used the rear trigger guard hole, and drilled and tapped the receiver.
I straightened the lug in my vise without removing the barrel.
I pillar bedded the rear screw and bedded the action leaving the barrel free floating
because the forearm of the soft stock material is very flexible.
So far, so good. I shoot 90 grains fffg BP with 260gr Dead Center, very accurately.E3DE9588-0B88-4FB9-8AAA-B20A1074FF81.jpeg6E5942AB-DC43-4505-8450-3FF3DA290C09.jpeg

Thanks guys. I'll add it to the list of things I need to talk to a gunsmith about.

Some of the stock were garbage I remember trying to glass bed one like yours it took several attempts I told the guy who owned it to look for a new one with the beech wood.

Back