1st time with new Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Recently purchased a stainless composite Knight MK-85. Since I already have one scoped up as my primary hunting rifle, I decided not to scope this one. It is set up with a Williams peep sight. I am wanting to run conicals through it. Didn't have much time today, but wanted to shoot.

I had some Hornady Great Plains 385 bullets. Only had time to try them with 70 grains of T7 FFG and only at 40 yards. They shot about 1.5 inches. Not what I was looking for, I'll have to continue to work on the load.I have some 320 grain maxiballs I can try as well. If those don't work I'll order some 460 No Excuses. Worse case scenario I'll use a sabot. At my open sight ranges don't think I can beat a Barnes 250 Expander.

Anything else I should be trying?

Out of curiosity I shoot some patched round balls in front of 30 grains of T7 FFG. I was pleasantly surprised. I was getting consistent 3 shot tight groups about 6 inches high. Tight enough to knock the head of a squirrel, thought it might be fun to try. Just not sure if I want to make that big of a sight adjustment, was hoping they'd shoot closer to the Great Plains.

One of my MK-85s which has a badly pitted barrel from a previous loving owner seems to like 460 No Excuse gr conicals, at 60 yds it shot them into about a inch with open sights.. I used a old piece of cut off barrel from another mk to size them for a better fit. Cant remember the load but believe it was 75 gr of Goex 2F.

Thanks. I'll have to break down and buy some. Not sure what diameter I need, probably buy his sizing pack first.

Latest posts

Back