2-7 Scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 2X7 optic is a great idea, but I want something larger than a 32mm objective. Missouri Department of Conservation has set the Alternative Season (almost anything but a centerfire rifle) around Christmas and New Years day. The weather during that time can be quite gloomy or dreary. I want at least a 40mm objective and finding a 2X7X40 is challenging. A 3X9X40 or 4X12X44mm is easier to find and more cost efficient. I do mostly ladder stand hunting so weight is not an issue yet.

Just because it dials up to 9 or 12 doesn't mean you have to do it. Just dial it up to where you need it.

I have 2 pellet guns with 3-9 on them. I have them dialed to 5-6 power and leave them there. Instead of buying new ones I just "borrowed" them off of guns I don't intend to use for a while. Until I find a nice sale.

A 2X7 optic is a great idea, but I want something larger than a 32mm objective. Missouri Department of Conservation has set the Alternative Season (almost anything but a centerfire rifle) around Christmas and New Years day. The weather during that time can be quite gloomy or dreary. I want at least a 40mm objective and finding a 2X7X40 is challenging. A 3X9X40 or 4X12X44mm is easier to find and more cost efficient. I do mostly ladder stand hunting so weight is not an issue yet.

Veracity 2x10x42 for $350. The Signature HD 2x10x40 should be available soon for a little less. You wont find a 2x7x40 aside from the Swift Premier and some very high end scopes. The Swift is a nice scope but the eye relief is horrible. If you want to wait on another MidwayUSA sale, the Viper HS 2.5x10x44 is only $250 in plex.

I’ve got a Leupold 2-7 on a Ruger 77RL .257 Robert’s. It looks great on the rifle because it’s just the right size for it, but I’d much rather have a scope that went up to 9X.

Fullfield E1. Great eye relief. Great reticle imo . Has been dependable. 2-7 and 3-9. I have some extra of them I’d sell.
Check t to them out.

Another 2-7x fan. I picked up a Vortex Viper back when they offered them. With the German style C3 reticle (a circle in the cross hairs) and its wide field of view (overlooked, IMO with scopes) it's fantastic for getting on target quick. Quality glass makes high magnification far less important. I always end up saying this, but clarity beats magnification any day of the week and especially at dusk and dawn.

Last edited:
Another good price on a 2x10x42 and its Czech made. Meopta makes some nice glass especially for low light. About $278 with the EURO16 promo code. I highly doubt you can beat that. The Meopta website says the 2x10x42 rimfire model has adjustable parallax too for another $20
https://www.sportoptics.com/meopta-optika-5-2-10-42-1032567.aspx

Last edited:
Just me... but I prefer 3x9's on my ML's. 2x7 should do everything you need but the little extra can be worth it at times.
Ditto. I prefer 3x9 personally. There has never been a situation where I needed 2x instead of 3x, and I prefer to have the option to go to 9 over 7 if I need it.
Now, the advantage I see may be in the smaller scope size and weight, but its minimal most likely.

Reality for me... most any scope size will probably do. 90% of my kills are less than 75yds. 3x9 scopes usually offer alot of bang for the $, and tons of good options available.

I have a Nikon 2-7X32mm on my 12 gauge slug gun. With the heavy duplex reticle, it's perfect for my setup.
It seems like all the scopes out there today are more geared to long range shooting, like everybody's a sniper or something.
I've used a 2-7x32 Bushnell on my 12 gauge slug gun since mid-70's. Killed at least 50 deer over the years with this combo. But now New York has gone mostly to rifles, and my Tikka Lite shots a lot better than the 12 ever did.

Ditto. I prefer 3x9 personally. There has never been a situation where I needed 2x instead of 3x, and I prefer to have the option to go to 9 over 7 if I need it.
Now, the advantage I see may be in the smaller scope size and weight, but its minimal most likely.

Reality for me... most any scope size will probably do. 90% of my kills are less than 75yds. 3x9 scopes usually offer alot of bang for the $, and tons of good options available.

Truly, there is not much of a difference between the two mag ranges- save a few ounces and a slightly lower profile with the 2-7. But, a lot of the places I Whitetail hunt in VA, I absolutely know there will never be a shot opportunity farther than 120 yards, so it seems to fit nicely.

Field of view difference can be pretty large when you start talking about a 2x with a 40mm obj. Not so much when the 2x is a 33mm. The FOV at 100yds on the 2x7x40 Swift is huge. Its like 60ft. You wont find a 3x9x40 anywhere near that.

The Optika 2x10 is 55ft, Veracity is 52ft and the new Burris HD is listed at 54ft. My Razor HD LH 2x10x40 is 56ft and i love it when you consider its specs. It smokes the competition at the blow out pricing. Only a Minox ZA5 HD covered all the bases as well.

Last edited:
Field of view difference can be pretty large when you start talking about a 2x with a 40mm obj. Not so much when the 2x is a 33mm. The FOV at 100yds on the 2x7x40 Swift is huge. Its like 60ft. You wont find a 3x9x40 anywhere near that.

The Optika 2x10 is 55ft, Veracity is 52ft and the new Burris HD is listed at 54ft. My Razor HD LH 2x10x40 is 56ft and i love it when you consider its specs. It smokes the competition at the blow out pricing. Only a Minox ZA5 HD covered all the bases as well.

100% agreed on that Razor HD LH. That's the best optic Vortex has ever "made," excluding their multi thousand dollar competition setups. Mine performed wonderfully on Kodiak last year.

However, to play devil's advocate, my Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35 is almost 5 ounces lighter!

Latest posts

Back