200 Grain Hornady FTX Jacketed Sabotless 1:30 Twist Sidelock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This Little 200 Grain Hornady FTX Bullet Showed GOOD potential in my 1:30 Green Mountain LRH, Nothing Like Jacketed Sabotless in a Sidelock Muzzleloader :)

fjzBSJzm.jpg

250 FTX in the Middle, The Little 200 on Each side
tr5mAmal.jpg

Open Sights, They Did Good :lewis: ZERO Load development here, I have no doubt i could improve this with Powder adjustment, But there’s nothing to Shabby about this, The Recovered Bullets Performed Well also, Talk about a BRUTAL ROUGH Bullet Test, Pushing Them Through Sand
0hOBjLil.jpg

Ive got those and the 225gr version for 45LC. The 200gr is made for 460S&W
-----------------------------------225gr----------------------------200gr-----------------------------
EKPRasz.jpg

Ive got those and the 225gr version for 45LC. The 200gr is made for 460S&W
-----------------------------------225gr----------------------------200gr-----------------------------
EKPRasz.jpg

I Seen those 225s, and they had the 250s at Blacksheep Sporting Goods in Coeur d'Alene the other Day, I plan to get some of the 250 (No Cannelure) to Try in my 1:20 Twist Rice Sidelock. These little 200s Shot really well in my 1:30 Twist, and were TOUGH! These lightweight Bullets that Shoot Good are a WIN WIN, Recoil is comical, Makes shooting a BUNCH of FUN :lewis: BIG Lead is COOL in it’s own Way, and DEFINITELY the LARGEST part of what i do, But Recoil can Start to “DIG” At ya in Short order, Taking a Break from BIG Lead and Shooting something Fun is ALWAYS a Welcoming Thing

Guys on the specialty forums....458SOCOM, 450Bushmaster ect ect have done some side by sides with the 200gr and 225gr FTX. The 200gr holds up better at 460S&W/450BM speeds.

225ftx is rated for up to 1200fps a much lower velocity than the above mentioned. You don;t want to hunt with them they will frag I lost the best buck I ever seen while hunting due to switching from 200ftx to 225ftx and learned the difference later from a Hornady rep.

Man, I really need to try some of these jacketed bullets.

They are a BOAT LOAD of fun in a Sidelock :lewis: Make sure and Know your Bore Diameter, and Size accordingly. I use my Solid Brass Range Rod 99.9% of the Time, I can send a TIGHT Bullet down the Bore NO PROBLEM with this Rod. Most of the Jacketed bullets i shoot are Sized to Load EASY “Land Ride”

I’m with Lewis I have a rice 1-20 and it shoots the 200 ftx with 80gr 3f by weight very well and I’ve decided to use them on a mule deer hunt I have coming up in a couple of weeks I sure hope they hold up to the task

Thanks for taking the time to test these bullets.

What sizing die are you using to get the 200 grain Hornady FTX bullets to fit in the Green Mountain LRH barrel? Hankins, or Swinglock?

I have a rice barrel and I’m using a Hankins sizer it seems to work well for me

Latest posts

Back