200 yd.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45-70

Reaction score
here is in my opinion what a good 200 yd. target is. 4 targets from Saturdays IH AGG.

Attachments

• 20190513_092307.jpg
    20190513_092307.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190513_092317.jpg
    20190513_092317.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190513_092329.jpg
    20190513_092329.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190513_092346.jpg
    20190513_092346.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18
here is in my opinion what a good 200 yd. target is. 4 targets from Saturdays IH AGG.

Are these targets shot with open sights?

What position is the shooter?

Is the rifle supported in any manner other than the individual shooter?

shot with Inlines . some were prone off sticks , some from bench. Shot during Saturday IH Match in Friendship , you had 30 minutes for 8 shots count best 5 . Front rest from bench. Might add x ring is 1 moa

It is amazing what these rifles are capable of at 200 yards . From a expensive custom rifle to a stock Production rifle. Using high BC bullets with Blackhorn to heavy lead with Swiss . Light and fast vs heavy and slow .All combinations will work and will work very well . I truly am amazed . It was not that many years ago I would of never even thought about shooting 200 yards with a muzzleloader .

It is amazing what these rifles are capable of at 200 yards . From a expensive custom rifle to a stock Production rifle. Using high BC bullets with Blackhorn to heavy lead with Swiss . Light and fast vs heavy and slow .All combinations will work and will work very well . I truly am amazed . It was not that many years ago I would of never even thought about shooting 200 yards with a muzzleloader .

Doug for this competition are the rifles scoped? or were these shot with open sights. Can not say I have shot a lot out to 200 yards but there is no doubt in my mind that shot can be made. Likewise if I were to have an opportunity at an elk at 200 with one of ML's, AND ALL THE CONDITIONS FIT MY NEEDS - a 200 yard shot could happen and I would be more than confident about. but then again if the opportunity arose would the conditions be right????

You can do with open but must have , lot elevation

these were shot with scope but all were dialed in no hold over and no set to shoot high. 100 yd zero

All rifles were scoped . With a good set of peep Peep sights with the right apertures I am sure the groups could be matched with open sights .

My point was even with a factory rifle most guns will shoot better than the shooter .

these were shot with scope but all were dialed in no hold over and no set to shoot high. 100 yd zero

thanks that is what I was asking. I do sight in my hunting rifles with a PBR system, which basically works out to the bullet being about 3" high @ 100

Last edited:
All rifles were scoped . With a good set of peep Peep sights with the right apertures I am sure the groups could be matched with open sights .

Again thanks I was wondering about the sight system. I Idaho during ML season we are required to use open sights, among other restrictions.

With these restriction my hunting comfort level lowers to 150 - 175 yards.

My point was even with a factory rifle most guns will shoot better than the shooter .

Absolutely correct in my mind... With my abilities it is not the rifle that limits my range. Like I said in my Farm post shooting birds at a 100 yards is really a piece of cake with todays ML's - with a scope or without a scope.

Latest posts

Back