2019 cow elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon_dfa

Reaction score
Hunting with ML mule deer buck and cow elk tags... Just before dark on day 2. Had bumped one lone cow earlier and just about decide I had missed my chance for the day. Decided to stick it out until dark, so went to watch a pond for mule deer buck.

Sometimes you get lucky. This young cow ran across the top of the hill and ran down broadside to me. I started to make a cow "moo" sound to stop her, but she turned abruptly and headed straight to me. I started to make a sound again and she turned broadside again... third time I started to make sound, she turned back into me again, the stopped at 20 yards when she saw me.

I know to keep my scope on lowest mag, so it was easy to see her chest. She dropped as expected at that range with 290 grain Barnes TEZ. I reloaded, but 2nd shot was not needed.

I have been telling people I think I can still get an elk out of the woods by myself. I barely can. I shot the elk about 6:30 p.m. and had it in the truck by 1 a.m. Got home and had all the meat on ice by about 2:30. I was one tired pup.

Finished butchering the next day and put 139 lbs of boneless organic grass/browse fed meat in the freezer.
cow-elk-9-28-19.jpg

Yeah buddy! She’s a dandy. Congrats on your kill.:2cool:

963D7CD0-BCF9-4772-8207-57FA8487C0CD.jpeg Great job on a nice cow. Very good eats there!
Congrats
Walk
(Btw, your picture looks very close to mine from last year, except mine was .30-06)

Congratulations! 139 lbs of happiness. What was the powder? And how much?

Congratulations! 139 lbs of happiness. What was the powder? And how much?
Hi Cattledog... Since I was hunting mule deer and/or elk, used my elk load. 120 grains pyrdex or 777 and 290 grain TEZ or TMZ with thinner sabots... Found to be my best groups with Thompson Encore... And to Walking Eagle... I have 7 mm rem mag barrel I use for rifle season.

Congrads. :lewis: Been many, Many years since I had Elk but I remember it was fine table fair.

Back