2019 Indiana Rut

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I was sitting in my stand yesterday and beginning to wonder after seeing some pre rut activity on October 27th, “when will the rut really start kicking” just a short 5 minutes later I seen a doe coming in from my left and heard a buck behind her. He was grunting in low, short burst that I’ve heard many many times before. You know, the “hey baby, slow down and let’s chat for a few”
Well, I got my answer. First pic the doe finally stops almost dead in front of me, about 25yds. Tail straight up and decent 8pt right behind her. In the second pic, she must have liked his rap. Hard to tell in pic (shitty phone camera) but she stands and let’s him mount her.
I didn’t know whether to look away or throw on some Marvin Gaye or Vandross.3FC660DE-1472-482F-9B21-4F09818ABFC0.jpeg32E16936-83E2-47FD-A0CE-19E0E6F74DAD.jpeg

Last edited:
nice looking 8 point from what I can see.. I haven't seen anything but small does so far, just had scrapes start appearing 4 days ago..12 miles west of me my buddy has been seeing bucks chasing like crazy, my area always seems to be a little behind for some reason.We were really hit hard by EHD again also.

Hi, I'm also from Indiana. It's great to hear that the rut is picking up. I'll be on stand Saturday morning, in Washington county. I hope they are moving there.

So, I was sitting in my stand yesterday and beginning to wonder after seeing some pre rut activity on October 27th, “when will the rut really start kicking” just a short 5 minutes later I seen a doe coming in from my left and heard a buck behind her. He was grunting in low, short burst that I’ve heard many many times before. You know, the “hey baby, slow down and let’s chat for a few”
Well, I got my answer. First pic the doe finally stops almost dead in front of me, about 25yds. Tail straight up and decent 8pt right behind her. In the second pic, she must have liked his rap. Hard to tell in pic (shitty phone camera) but she stands and let’s him mount her.
I didn’t know whether to look away or throw on some Marvin Gaye or Vandross.View attachment 5970View attachment 5971
Have only seen that once in all years I have hunted and Im 70 now .

Have only seen that once in all years I have hunted and Im 70 now .

It’s my third time in the last 10yrs. but is the first time they was close enough to take either with a bow. Before this last 10yrs, I hunted for 30yrs and never seen it. I am disabled and no longer work so I have more time to be in the woods and maybe that’s why?

nice looking 8 point from what I can see.. I haven't seen anything but small does so far, just had scrapes start appearing 4 days ago..12 miles west of me my buddy has been seeing bucks chasing like crazy, my area always seems to be a little behind for some reason.We were really hit hard by EHD again also.

He was a really nice 8, probably mid upper 130’s maybe low 140’s. Another year or two and he would have been taking a one way trip. I have a personally imposed 160” limit and have 3 picked out, if I can get the shot...
For you Indiana guys, I hunt about 7miles North of Raccoon lake. This farm I’ve seen lots of action the last week. Another farm about 2 miles west, nothing to imply the rut is in full swing.

I’m 40 miles north and a little east of you. The rut here is just a dribble,dribble, not sure if it will ever kick in to a full rut?

Latest posts

Back