2020 Arkansas Muzzleloader Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice buck. Interesting dark coloring across the nose. I've never seen that here in Minnesota. Is it common in Arkansas?

Around my home farm on the southern edge of the Ozarks mountains, it's rare. I killed this one on our lease about 75 miles southwest of here in the Ouachita Mountains and I see quite a few with dark markings there. I dropped this one off with a friend of mine who does taxidermy for a living, not to get mounted, but because he always needs good capes. When I picked up the rack later, he told me he was saving this cape for a show piece he was going to do for competition, because of the unique markings.

Mr Tom, what part of Minnesota are you from? I go up to Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota every June for a week of fishing and to get away from Arkansas heat. Been up there every year since 2012, always stay at Pike Bay Lodge.

Rochester, down in the SE corner. We have family friends who have property up near Vermillion and visit them each summer and of course spend time on the lake fishing.

☝Way to go! That’s the same load I used this year. The wound channel was pretty awesome in the doe I shot with it.

That’s a great buck, and his cape is beautiful. I would’ve had a hard time not mounting him just for the cape.

Back