2020 hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day all,

After the generosity of the people here helping me out I figure the least I can do is share some pics from my season here. I haven't hunted with my inline this year as I generally use it during the rut where i can call stags in to smoke range and for two months (including the rut) hunting was under a covid ban.

I did get some in before and after however. For anyone that doesn't have a lot of experience with reds, the things you see NZ with antlers thick as coke cans all the way up and 50pts aren't what wild red deer look like.

The first is a nice heavy mature 5x6 I shot with my 30-06 pre rut this year.
20200303_202631.jpg

The second I shot with my 275 Rigby and was my first deer with our new pup bred from our GSP ***** a couple of days before the hunting ban. Unfortunately it is also the only one as she was hit by a car not long after this pic.
20200407_001430.jpg

Lastly my eldest sons first duck hunt with dad and pop.
20200516_105944.jpg

Sorry to hear about the dog. My wife and I are sorta in the animal rescue business. Over the years we've taken in many cats and dogs.
Beautiful animals you have there.
Kinda like our American Elk.
Good hunting.

Thank you, it's been a tough year for us and pets. The mother of our pup was recently diagnosed with cancer so just had an operation this week to remove some tumors. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Reds are genetically close to elk albeit a little smaller in body size. I'm building points to hunt elk in WY myself someday.

Thank you, it's been a tough year for us and pets. The mother of our pup was recently diagnosed with cancer so just had an operation this week to remove some tumors. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Reds are genetically close to elk albeit a little smaller in body size. I'm building points to hunt elk in WY myself someday.
I'll be thinking of you my brother.
Our old girl Daisy, an 18 year old Jack Russell terrier just got over pneumonia. We thought we were going to lose her but she's a tough old gal.

Very cool pics!
Sorry to hear about your pup. They become part of the family.

Thank you, been a good hunting year considering.

They do, was most tough to see our young fella looking for his friend for the next few days.

Gotta take the good with the bad though.

Thanks for Sharing Bushfire! Those Red Deer Horns sure look a LOT like our Elk, How much does a Mature Red Deer Weigh, one like your Top Photo?

Thanks for Sharing Bushfire! Those Red Deer Horns sure look a LOT like our Elk, How much does a Mature Red Deer Weigh, one like your Top Photo?

The bottom six are the same, only the tops really differ. Where an elk throws vertical tines off the main beam reds branch out into a crown. Body wise a big red taps out at around 500lb. Sambar are our biggest deer they get to about 800lb.

Back