2020 Oregon Blacktail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveheffner110

SWOregon
Reaction score
This morning I shot this Oregon Blacktail. Oregon votes entirely by mail.
After 4 days of hunting, at the start of our rut period, I was able to shoot this buck with a 50cal. Renegade, No Excuses 420, 70 gr. of Swiss 2F followed by a 54 cal. wad. He traveled about 30 yards.
This was an old buck, that will be checked in for the state. He weighed 180 pounds, which is large for our Columbia Blacktail. He was 22 1/2" to the outside of the horns, 18 1/4" inside the main beams.
This was during a rifle season, but I chose to use the Renegade.
20201103_093420.jpg20201103_093438.jpg
Our Oregon legal rules for muzzleloaders includes open ignition, conicals or ball, loose powder only. The muzzleloader unit hunt didn't start until November 14 and I decided to get a general rifle tag since that start date was October - November 6.

Congrats!! I know very little about Blacktail deer, only what I’ve read about or seen on hunting shows but that’s the biggest one I’ve ever seen a pic of!

Fantastic! Great looking buck and you got it done with your Renegade. I hope to at least get a deer this year with my Renegade.

Like 03mossy, I have little knowledge of black tails but that looks like a giant compared with the one I’ve seen in various media. Great job!

That is a dandy king of the hill no doubt
king of the hill no doubt

CONGRATS on a Nice Buck Dave :lewis: I miss those Blacktail, i was born and raised around them, Hunted them since i was a little Boy

Latest posts

Back