2021 deer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the deer season winding down for another year, Oklahoma has 2 weeks left for bow season and perhaps a few other states go into January as well.
How did everyone do this year?
I put 2 in the freezer. That's enough for me and my wife.
I saw a ton of deer this year, no big giant bucks but that's ok.

In Maryland, archery will continue till Jan 31 and then a 3 day primitive season that includes flintlocks and percussion. It has been a disappointing season in some ways so far...2 down, a nice buck and small doe in October's ML season. These past three days are a doe only late season ML season where I am and I took some days off with high hopes but temps near 60 when they should have been in the 20's meant no action at all. That said, time in the woods is time in the woods, and I'll bring the crossbow out next week and see if I cannot get a little more meat in the freezer. Happy New Year to all!

Happy New Year to all as well. Didn't bow hunt here in VA due to smashing my right eye up but did muzzle hunt and got a decent 6 pointer on opening day. Saw a few more bucks and does but passed on them did not hunt our general firearms season which ends tomorrow. Overall very happy because I got to spend 2 weeks with lifelong friends and that is what I really look forward to each year.

First time hunting new to me property, didn’t over pressure it as there isn’t allot of land (87 acres shaped like Thor’s hammer) saw many deer but mostly doe and young bucks. Opening day rifle took a 10 point Buck then went back out a few times just to sit but didn’t take a doe as already had enough meat in the freezer.
Going out next weekend, archery last till January 15th here in MO. I have a stud on camera during daylight hours, in the odd chance he comes by within 30 yards it will be tough to pass on him!

Work kept me from hunting a lot this year. I was only able to hunt 1 day during rifle season with no luck. My son and I were able to get one sit in together during Missouri’s Alternative Season and he shot a doe that came in late afternoon with my Traditions Pursuit.

First time hunting new to me property, didn’t over pressure it as there isn’t allot of land (87 acres shaped like Thor’s hammer) saw many deer but mostly doe and young bucks. Opening day rifle took a 10 point Buck then went back out a few times just to sit but didn’t take a doe as already had enough meat in the freezer.
Going out next weekend, archery last till January 15th here in MO. I have a stud on camera during daylight hours, in the odd chance he comes by within 30 yards it will be tough to pass on him!

Today would’ve been a good day to be in the woods with the weather moving in. I didn’t even buy an archery tag this year.

Today would’ve been a good day to be in the woods with the weather moving in. I didn’t even buy an archery tag this year.

I am at the property now and getting ready to go sit for a couple hours with my bow, don’t need a kill per-say but would be awesome just to see a deer in the snow on the last day of the season.

Season ended yesterday in IL. First time in a very long time that I didn't go out- because I already achieved everything I set out to do and more. I had probably the best season of my life- one wall hanger with crossbow and one with my Savage ML II. Throw 5 does on top of that (donated the the two I shot in IA). Shot my first big one on Nov 5th with a nice NW wind and cooler temps-rut was really heating up and there were a couple bucks chasing does. I called him in with my grunt call to about 30 yrds, and double lunged him with my Ravin R9. He ran about 50 yrds and dropped. I told the story of the second big buck I harvested on here earlier, but I was able to harvest him after the first decent snow we got with temps in single digits (Jan 2nd)- I had been waiting for that kind of weather all season. Shot him at about 70yrds, but it wasn't my best shot and involved a more interesting tracking job (see my thread on tracking in the snow). IA gun season this year wasn't that eventful, just didn't have any decent bucks around so I took two nice does and donated the meat. I always enjoy my IA trip each year because I get to use my straight wall cartridge rifles- harvested the two does there with my Big Horn Armory 500 Auto Max (AR that shoots a 500 S&W cartridge). That gun is amazingly accurate- shot one at 156 yards and the other at 60yrds- I use a 350gr Sierra JHP, with around 45grns of Accurate 4100. I also take my Henry 45/70, but was having too much fun with the AR this year. My other 2 does came on an awesome day hunting the last weekend of Oct/first week in Nov with my 14yr old daughter in S IL. Between the two of us we got 4 deer that day with crossbows- that is a day I will never forget-helped to fill the freezer (my family usually goes through about 6 dr/yr- 5 kids). In summary, I am thankful for being so blessed this season. I wish I could have hunted more with my daughter, but she is involved in various sports and has very little time to hunt these days. On to ice fishing and waiting for turkey season.

Attachments

• 12pt 11-5-21.jpg
    12pt 11-5-21.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 10pt 1-2-22.jpg
    10pt 1-2-22.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Went to Nebraska in December 2021. There is a month long MZ season there with OTC tags. Strictly hunted public land. Moved around to several different areas looking for bedding cover next to food plots. I used a portable ground blind. Although I did not kill a buck it was a fun and interesting trip. I passed on several small bucks since I had already killed a cow elk in WY, in early November, and did not need the meat.

I had a rough 2021. I had right shoulder reconstructive surgery on Oct 5th, due to an injury, and then my oldest daughter and granddaughter were killed on Oct 29th. So it's an understatement to say that I was neither mentally or physically able to hunt for most of the deer season here in Louisiana. I went out on Jan 2, 2022 for the last day of primitive weapon either sex season (public land hunting) in my area and was able to take a nice doe with my H&R 45-70. I went out a few other times with my crossbow ,seeing several deer, but out of range for my Excalibur.

Attachments

• 20220102_150632.jpg
    20220102_150632.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back