209’s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look every time I go somewhere that might have them and buy the limit, usually 2, when I do find them. So far Scheels has been my best source.

Anybody finding any on the shelf anywhere?
Academy Sports in Greenville, NC has had Winchester Triple Se7en 209 primers the last few times I have gone there (within the last two weeks). I wish I could find some #11 percussion caps or even some musket caps; online or in the NC/SC area…

Attachments

• 3535FA43-3751-4DBE-91AE-BCAF1EC6C5F9.jpeg
    3535FA43-3751-4DBE-91AE-BCAF1EC6C5F9.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 364161F1-60A3-433E-88AF-2CF0D8ECEDD3.jpeg
    364161F1-60A3-433E-88AF-2CF0D8ECEDD3.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 16
I recently looked at a CVA wolf, green camo stock, blued barrel.
Price was about 200 bucks.
I wanted to order one but without primers why bother. I don't think that model is compatible for the northwest breech plug kit. I could be wrong.

Pardon my ignorance but when people say 209 primers are they talking about regular shotshell 209's or the ones in undeadpoets post the SML209T7 ?? What is the difference other than being "specially formulated" for triple seven and does it make that much difference ? Also, can you substitute these with something like the Variflame adapters ?
My lone muzzleloader experience is my paramount pro but I have a bunch of people asking me about 209's and I'm not really sure what they need. I used to compete in shotgun sports and would buy 209's by the 100K at a time and I have about 60K laying around.

Pardon my ignorance but when people say 209 primers are they talking about regular shotshell 209's or the ones in undeadpoets post the SML209T7 ?? What is the difference other than being "specially formulated" for triple seven and does it make that much difference ? Also, can you substitute these with something like the Variflame adapters ?
My lone muzzleloader experience is my paramount pro but I have a bunch of people asking me about 209's and I'm not really sure what they need. I used to compete in shotgun sports and would buy 209's by the 100K at a time and I have about 60K laying around.

There's what's called dedicated "muzzleloader primers", which have less pressure and are generally used when shooting BP or BP substitutes such as Triple Seven, Pyrodex and others. The photo in post #5 is of dedicated muzzleloader primers with lower pressure.
I believe when shooters are talking "regular 209 primers", that's when they're talking about full strength shotgun shell primers. These are the primers that some BH209 shooters use, while others use MAGNUM 209 primers, such as CCI209M and Federal 209A primers.
Dedicated muzzleloader primers (low pressure) are NOT recommended for BH2090 shooters and generally will cause FTF or HF's.

I wrote a blog post answering a lot of this... hope it helps:

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/badgerden/different-209-primers-and-muzzleloading

I have not found any in my area (Central Nebraska). I have a total of 10 209 primers, so I hope I find some over the next 3 months. 209's have been my biggest struggle lately.

But on the plus side, I have found plenty of powder the last two weeks. Getting some blackhorn 209 made my week! Baby steps I guess...

I have enough to get through this year, we only pulled one tag. I have probably about 300. You can shoot up that many pretty quick when your playing with 3 or 4 rifles at a time though. I almost always shoot two rifles at a time when I go out. It gives some cool down time between shots when alternating rifles. I guess I’ll just have to not “recreational” shoot this year and let my son with the tag do all the practicing.

Academy Sports in Greenville, NC has had Winchester Triple Se7en 209 primers the last few times I have gone there (within the last two weeks). I wish I could find some #11 percussion caps or even some musket caps; online or in the NC/SC area…
I have found a few Winchester #11’s at Cal-Ranch. I bought a couple of tins last time I was in there. I didn’t want to wipe them out, but maybe I should have. Never used them before. I’ve always used the CCI or RWS caps.

Latest posts

Back