209 conversion for super 91

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdog

Reaction score
I am brand new to the site and had a couple questions for you Whites guys. Is there an available conversion for a super 91 to shoot a 209 primer instead of a #11 cap? also can you shoot blackthorn 209 power in the super 91? thanks for any help

There is a conversion for a 209 primer for the super 91 if you can find one, it would have to include a new hammer with a protruding tit as well. I don't see a need for this however as the #11 cap will work much better and not give a crud ring like that of the 209 system.
Super 91 rifles are plunger guns, so Blackhorn powder is not recommended or advised. The plunger could come back at the shooter causing injury or worse and ruin the rifle.

Thanks for the information my dad bought 2 super 91's 20plus years ago just trying to figure out if I want to start shooting one of them or get a new more modern inline that shoots blackthorn 209 to work up. Both of the ones he has have not been shot 30 times might just leave them in the gun cabinet collecting dust for now.

Thanks for the information my dad bought 2 super 91's 20plus years ago just trying to figure out if I want to start shooting one of them or get a new more modern inline that shoots blackthorn 209 to work up. Both of the ones he has have not been shot 30 times might just leave them in the gun cabinet collecting dust for now.
Jdog ive done it but i dont reccomend it . It was a PITA to deal with the primers !!!! Factory issued 209 conversions for a plunger gun SUCK . What i did , while it worked , was a Hassle .!!!! NOT worth it !!!
T7 3f really makes so much more sense for a plunger gun and #11Remington mag caps work awesome too . Zero delay going off !!! Its a bit more effective than you may think with tbe White System that made Doc famous and the White rifle a HIGHLY desireable weapon ,.... STILL !!!!!!!
They ARE 200+ yd guns if You are up to it . They have a reputation and DESERVE IT for Outstanding Accuracy and Game Taking Power that is Still Envied yet today . !!! You need to learn a thing or two about those Whites Before casually considering them as yesterdays news !!! THEY ARE TIMELESS CLASSY CLASSICS OF THE HIGHEST ORDER !!! Basically a " custom " quality muzzleloader with a pedigree . Custom made Wilson ,Criterton , amongst other barrels makers used . On certain ones Bell & Carlson stocks . Fully adjustable Bold triggers . Etc , etc , etc . A White is Not 2nd best Ever . Regardless.......
On the DWB forum i think you need to check out a thread "Big enough for Elk" .Its an Eye Opener !!!! :lewis:
The elk is said to be THE most death resistant animal in N. America by the way . Take a peek.......

Last edited:
Your choice, but you will miss out on an excellent shooting gun if you let them sit.
My oldest son (44) decided he wanted to hunt in the ML season with me this year, I had already worked up a load in the .504 Super 91, so just had to show him how to load it an had speed loaders ready. He said his friends had never heard of a White muzzleloader. He killed 3 deer with it last November, and said he really likes the rifle. It will be his when I'm gone.
Don't sell these guns short they are shooters, easy to load an set up and will get the job done!

All of my .451 White ML’s have proven to be very accurate. Here’s my youngest grandson who sighted his .451 M97 at 100 yds. Not too shabby if you ask me.:D

It looks like he may have inherited my shooting skills with my 346gr HP Gould Bullets. After we tweaked it in, I forget how many shots he put in dead center, but I think it was 4 or 5. Not to shabby for a 13yr old. Naturally, like me it was using a solid rest.

Oh and the load was 60gr of 777-3F.
img_5400-jpg.6646

Nothing wrong with 60gr/777-fff in a .451. I've killed 3 deer myself with 65gr/777-fff in a .504.

I have the 209 conversion for a Super 91 in the classifieds in case you are still interested.

I would stick with percussion cap. I’ve never had an issue with 777 or Pyrodex igniting, using a slip fit bullet, loading after a shot is not an issue either, unless using a tight fitting sabot, which I have never shot out of my Whites. I use them as Doc intended.

Well I guess I have some thinking to do before winter breaks. Thanks for all the information much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back