209 Primer ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I appreciate your experiences. I just started shooting a Knight Ultra-Lite. I'm getting good crush on the primer and no blow back through the breechplug. During hunting season, can I reuse the primer if I don't shoot? Will the primer stay sized correctly, or does the action of crushing it help form a seal. Thanks for helping me out. This is my first major foray outside of plunger guns and #11 primers.

I did when I had one. Was still sealed up when I shot. I never measured it but there is probably a little "Spring Back" in the cup so it sealed up ok for me.

During hunting season, can I reuse the primer if I don't shoot? Will the primer stay sized correctly, or does the action of crushing it help form a seal.

Myself, don't reuse the primers if they have been removed from the rifle. Do know they don't spring back from being crushed. Don't know if that matters.

Leaving primers in the uncocked Omega rifles is comfortable, but leaving primers in the UltraLite, and trusting a trigger blocking safety doesn't feel good. Only way the rifle comes back into the truck with the primer in place is with the bolt safety screwed in tight so that the firing pin cannot possibly fall.

Sounds like I won't be reusing them. I wish I could come up with a case of W209's. I'd feel alot more comfortable.

I only use them once. It is not worth it to me as gas cutting of the primer seat because of leakage ruins the breechplug.

I reuse primers after removing for transport with no issues at all. If said primer was in the gun all day in wet weather the gun will get a fresh primer the following day. I've closed the action on the same primer four or 5 times and never saw any leakage. I guess reusing a seated primer is each person's decision to make... what each person is comfortable with.

I usually (but not always) reuse them in my Omegas and Savages. Haven’t seen any issues. I guess it really comes down to being short on 209s or not. I’ve got 8-10k so I guess I really should just use a fresh one each time.

Primers seem to be reusable but I notice a reduction in crush pressure the second time around so I toss them. My peace of mind is worth the price of a primer.

I don't think its the cost that's an issue, at least for me, today. Even at a 100 bucks for a 1,000 its not an issue. Probably, more like: "Will I be able to get more in the near future?" Though some people paying 15 bucks or more for 100 could get pricey to throw them away.

Last edited:
I rarely shoot more than 30 shots a year in my SML's. I'm 74 yoa and I have over 1000 primers. Do the math!

Sounds good. I'm well stocked on #11's. Need to work on the 209's.

Back