20ga Shotgun sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
So I have been fiddling around with reloading slugs the past year or so..all have been in my smooth bore guns with some decent success for accuracy. I would like to try and work up some a home recipe for my savage 220 seeing as the most accurate shells I have found for it are 16$ for a box of 5.. it’s a fully rifled 1/24” twist slug gun. I would use .45 or .50 cal billets ranging from 250-300 grains. But I can not seem to find a supplier for the sabots themself.. any help?

I know a gent that has loaded his own I will try to contact him.

Thanks for the help guys. I have seen them for the 12ga but I don’t even own a 12ga anymore. I’ve always gotten better accuracy from the 20 gauge Wich has plenty of knockdown power for what I hunt

I love mine. Can get clover leaf accuracy at 100 yards with the 3” accutips

I have see those.. I’d like to find something with petals. Not sure those would be accurate at all with a .429 bullet in them

Try ballisticproducts.com. They show a couple options.

Hate to disappoint you but I have a 220 that groups 1 inch at 100 yds with factory ammo. I spent years and hundreds of dollars trying to get handloads to shoot well. Roll trimmers, case trimmers, case skivers, various sabots, wads, powders, slugs and primers. I even had a custom mold made. All for naught. Flyers would open groups up to 8 inches at 100 yds. They were good looking handloads and were indistinguishable visually from factory loads. I handload shot shells and all my brass metallic cartridge rounds including 300 win mag, 300 WSM, 30-06, 45-70, and 44 mag with great results. I just don't understand why accurate 20 ga loads keep eluding me.

Last edited:
Where did you get the sabots to load them up? Even if not in my 220 I have a Winchester 1400 with a rifled choke that I could possibly try them in. I’ve got thousands of .451 and .452 projectiles ranging from 200-325 grains

These are pretty much what I am looking for. Only ones I can find are for either just a cylinder or they have very thin Petals like what you would use for bird shot

Attachments

• 6CDCDFC8-AB8C-4890-92ED-59CACBDA3176.jpeg
    6CDCDFC8-AB8C-4890-92ED-59CACBDA3176.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 2
  • DC597870-338A-4E1A-A05A-C3F3843E7A6A.jpeg
    DC597870-338A-4E1A-A05A-C3F3843E7A6A.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2
It's been a few years since I gave up handloading 20 ga slugs but I believe I got them from Ballistic Products although I don't see the red sabots I used on their website today. I do see the hulls though. My theory was that the sabots didn't supply enough grip for the slugs to turn consistantly. My next move was to make nylon sabots on my lathe to fit .54 cal muzzle loader bullets hoping their shorter length would allow accuracy with less spin. I abandoned that plan when CT passed the lesser weapons law allowing muzzle loaders to be used in shot gun season. Instead of possibly throwing more money and time down the drain screwing around with 20 ga reloads I built a pair of .45 cal smokeless muzzle loaders. One based on an NEF 12 ga break open action and the other based on a bolt action 30-06. They both shoot great and are as reliable as tides. Here's a pic of one of my 20ga reloads.

DSC_0316.JPG

Back