250 grain .458 Hornady MonoFlex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order came in today, the so called "2nds" look perfect to me and even have red tips. Weird thing is I see midway has increased the price from $20/50ct to $30/50ct .

At that price there is no savings over the Hornady branded FTX.

This is an old thread, I found it doing a search, but I thought I'd ask my question here.

I really like the monoflex as far as how it shoots out of my Optima. But I'm not having good performance on game. I have shot a few deer and not recovered them. I'm not getting any blood.

I'm shooting 84 grains by weight of BH 209 and getting 2060 fps.

Am I pushing the bullet too hard? Do you think it's going through without expanding?

The gun is very accurate out to 150, probably further but I can't shoot very well past that. But I've made a number of shots inside of a hundred that have not ended well. I know I hit the deer. And I get tiny little drips of blood. But not much at all. And I'm not recovering them within a hundred yards. Usually losing the trail somewhere in there.

I don't think your pushing the MonoFlex too hard. I've had great success using copper/monolithic bullets. This one was recovered from a large bodied buck my niece shot. Shot placement is key.
SuijFix.jpg

what velocity are you shooting them at BuckDoeHunter ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back