250 grain XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doulos

Reaction score
I killed my third deer with a 250 grain XTP yesterday. A mature doe at 143 yards (lasered). I used the 300 grain XTP for years and was always satisfied and impressed with the performance. But I could never get this Encore to shoot them well. It stacks the 250's as long as I use MMP EZ 3 petal sabots. It will usually group around an inch for 3 shots at 100 if I do my part. So I feel confident in using it.
I was always hesitant with the 250 grainer fearing it would come apart or not penetrate on a shoulder. But so far on 3 deer--- one 8 pointer at 65 yds and 2 does at ranges of 10 yds and 143 yds all have passed through. And this has been with modest charges of only 90-95 grains of Blackhorn 209. I have a box of 250 grain XTP MAGS but so far this bullet is doing the job. I actually believe these lower charges might be the way to go with this bullet.
I know after 3 deer I cant make a conclusive observation yet because i haven't drilled a deer yet in the shoulder. I killed more than 2 dozen with the 300 grainer and it would absolutely crush any shoulder it hit and get to vitals.
Whats everybody's experience with the 250 grain XTP?

Been using them for years - they hit like Thor's hammer! Bang, flop, dead right there...have taken no less than a dozen whitetails with them and no issues.

I started using the 250 Grain XTP in Early 2001 when The Savage MLII first came out.

I have used it as my go to Bullet ever since. It just works.

Ive shot it as low as 1600 FPS and as high as 2300 FPS all with great results.

Ive only lost two deer to them and it was due to low shots. Not poor bullet performance.

I am also a true believer. 5 deer and counting!

Don't bother with the MAG's. The plain XTP's work great. I use the .452 version (.45 Colt) with MMP Black sabots in an Encore. Lights out!

If Blackhorn site is to be believed, at 100gr. V, it's around 1900 fps. MV. I have never chrono'd it.

Well Im glad to hear these reports. Ive always used the 300 grain XTP and have killed many deer with it. I never found it lacking. But I cant seem to get them to shoot out of this Encore as accurate as the 250's. I was getting frustrated with the gun until I tried the 3 petal MMP EZ sabots with the 250 grainers.

with the MMP Blacks, its a tight fit, so if that bothers you, stick with the EZs

I used the 250 grain XTP for about 6 years, they did an acceptable job the reason I switched was accuracy I never have been able to get the consistent groups under a minute of angle that I get with Shock Wave 250 Bonded; Especially at 200 yards The only bullet that has equalled this is the 50/40 200grain Shock Wave. I shoot a Triumph and an Endeavor for hunting and an Omega as a space filler when Target and the need to cool arises as I live in AR and our summers a very warm.

I wish I had more pics like this as all would show similar results.

Ive been hunting almost exclusively with the XTP 250 gr since 2001. Ive killed a average of 7 deer or so a year with it as well as several Coyotes and wild Boars. Most have been bang flops.

Here is a recent kill. Deer was coming up out of a wet weather creek facing me.

Entrance Wound Front left side facing me.

IMG_1409_zpse2fe1d16.jpg

Exit Wound right side ribs.

IMG_1406_zps71efd3e4.jpg

Inside ribs

IMG_1407_zps20a25226.jpg

Lee 9 said:
I used the 250 grain XTP for about 6 years, they did an acceptable job the reason I switched was accuracy I never have been able to get the consistent groups under a minute of angle that I get with Shock Wave 250 Bonded;...

Goes to show that all barrels are different. My Encore loves 'em for accuracy and effectiveness. Shock Waves always seemed like they didn't open up as much for me compared to XTP's, but that was only on target back boards, and not on game. Are you happy with them on game? I could just as easily buy FTX's and use the same sabot.

I don't get such long shots either. Usually, < 50 yds.

Im planning on using the 45cal 250 grain xtp hunting this year. I would like to ask mine I bought last year and they come with black sabots. The package I saw at dicks today had green sabots. Have they changed up? And if so what's the difference?

Greens MAY actually be 44 cal XTP-MAGs. I prefer the std XTPs....or they may be Harvester sabots.

If you buy bullets by the 100 and MMP black sabots it is WSY cheaper than prepackaged.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Old thread...
If no other bullet existed, I wouldn't be upset. My Black Diamond loved the 250 grain 45 XTP. My TC Hawken ( I get consistent 3 round groups at 100 of 2 inches or, usually, less with its 1-48 twist open sights) is very accurate with them. My Firehawk, a ridiculously accurate and thoroughly enjoyable rifle,has given me an awesome collection of inch or less 100 yard 3 shot groups. Smallest so far was 5/16ths, not a typo and with aperture sights.
Harvester crush rib sabot and 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black. Chrono'd velocity 1575 fps. This from my Firehawk. Same load in the Hawken, but haven't chrono'd that one yet.
The 12 deer shot with this load gave up the ghost VERY quickly...
A very fine bullet indeed.

Latest posts

Back