250g Monoflex--50g Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 250g Monoflex was tested this morning using 50 grain of Blackhorn. A short black Harvester sabot was substituted for the included red sabot. Range was 25 yard. The bullet was shot at carpet, plywood, and water jugs.

The bullet went through the carpet, plywood, 3 water jugs, and into the fourth water jug where it parked. The front jug had the cap blown off, and it carried part of the jug away with it. The second jug had the top third ripped away. The third jug had a hole in, and a hole out. The fourth jug only had the hole in, and it held the bullet. The fifth, and sixth jug were undamaged.

IMG_0965.JPG

A sixth jug was included in the set, because it was feared the bullet wouldn't expand, and would over penetrate. Previously, tipped bullets, hollow point bullets, and soft point bullets did not work when driven through the carpet, and plywood by 50 grain of powder. The Lehigh bullet was the sole bullet that functioned. Today this bullet joined the Lehigh bullet; they are the only bullets that function when pushed through carpet, plywood, and water jugs by only 50g Blackhorn.

IMG_0966.JPG

Nice!

I got some superb grouping with this bullet in my TC Impact, but wasn't sure about using it for elk this fall. I may well put it to use on deer, though.

Looks good Ron, for only 50 grains of powder. How did the Barnes do in comparison with the same charge?

With 80-100 grains of powder, that bullet should go into full bloom.

I picked some up several months ago, but haven't gotten around to shooting them yet. The weather is just finally starting to get nice, with a whiff of fall in the air. My favorite time of the year!

First, here is a video of the 250g TEZ pushed by 50g Blackhorn.

The 250 TEZ was not captured. It flew through everything in it's path. My assumption is the tip clogged with carpet, and plywood, and then never expanded when it hit the water. The video shows no evidence of expansion. When ever other bullets penetrated deep, and were caught, they always had the hollow point, or tipped point clogged. The Barnes did good when pushed by 80g of Blackhorn, but so did the monoflex.

If it turns out you cannot view the video, what follows is a frame taken about 1/4 second after impact of the 250 TEZ, then a frame of the 250 monoflex taken about 1/4 second after impact.

250 TEZ, 50g Blackhorn @ 1/4 second
50barn250.jpg

250 monoflex, 50g Blackhorn @ 1/4 second
50mono250.jpg

Kinda cool to see how the grass, and brush changed in about 5 weeks or so.

Cool experiment! What was recoil like? That would be a great load for a youth hunter by the looks of it.

Recoil, and report, were quite slight. For a youth load, it kinda seems like 50g isn't enough powder, unless the quarry is less than 35 yard out.

Latest posts

Back