260 Yards, 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade, Lyman Plains

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
260 Yards, OPEN SIGHTS, STOCK 1:48 Twist TC Renegade .50 Cal, Lyman Plains Bullet Cast of Pure Lead, Weighing in at 400 Grains

d9BDdd2l.jpg

My 2 Shots on the Gong, There was a Guy and Gal Showed up behind me on an ATV, They asked if they could watch me Shoot the Gong, SO that 1st Shot is not on Video, I only Shot at the Gong 2 Times, I don’t like Holding over like that. This Barrel will be Fitted in another Renegade Stock of mine with an Adjustable Peep, And LOTS of MOA at my Disposal :p This Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal Renegade Will be Going MUCH Longer Range Soon :lewis:
GP8W4sXl.jpg

Where i was Shooting this Morning, This Old Logging Rd DEAD ENDS Less than 100 Yards From My Target, NO WAY anyone can Come in from that End, They would have to Go through me first, and i have the Old Rd Blocked off, Set up in the Middle of it. In other Words, I’m SAFE
rmLAGpjm.jpg

You guy’s that have these Old Stock 1:48 Twist Sidelocks, They are a LOT more Capable than you might think. My eyes have been opened by this one. I don’t believe this Barrel is a Fluke? I would bet that all of these Old Guns Will do this, Setup properly, With Good Powder, And a Proven Bullet such as this Lyman Plains. I will soon be Testing this SAME Stuff in .54 Cal, I have the Lyman Plains Mold for .54 Cal as Well, Along with SEVERAL other REALLY GOOD .54 Cal Custom Bullet, Both Grease Groove, and Paper Patch. Stay Tuned :lewis:

I would bet that the heavier .54 cal bullet will perform better at long distance, if you can get it moving fast, and can stand the recoil.

That is just under 2MOA at 260 yards with a 20 plus year old sidelock percussion muzzleloader.

There are plenty of modern rifles that are not that accurate with factory ammo at 260 yards with a scope.

Of course, you are a damn good rifleman, Lewis.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guy’s that have these Old Stock 1:48 Twist Sidelocks, They are a LOT more Capable than you might think. My eyes have been opened by this one. I don’t believe this Barrel is a Fluke? I would bet that all of these Old Guns Will do this, Setup properly, With Good Powder, And a Proven Bullet such as this Lyman Plains. I will soon be Testing this SAME Stuff in .54 Cal, I have the Lyman Plains Mold for .54 Cal as Well, Along with SEVERAL other REALLY GOOD .54 Cal Custom Bullet, Both Grease Groove, and Paper Patch. Stay Tuned :lewis:

And, a real good caster of bullets.

I wonder how the Little Heartbreaker will shoot in a 1:48 twist barrel?

Funny you mention that one, I have that one Set out READY for the 1:48 Twist .54 Cal Test :) Along with my “Bullshop” Version of the .54 Cal, I have several Good Bullets to Run in the Stock 48 Twist .54 Test :lewis:

When you do the Twist Calculating Stuff, The 1:48 Twist .54 Cal lines up MUCH better than the .50 Cal

I haven't been on here in a while but this post was of interest. I have 2 .50 cal Hawkens. First one I got as a kit back in 70's. Back then I shot the P & B and those heavy TC Maxiballs. Later I switched to the 245 Buffalo Ballet. I shot a couple of cow elk with the 245's. Early 80's I became friends with a Colorado hunter. He actually was a transplant from Florida. He had a TC Hawken .50. He told me he won lots of matches with it. He gave me that rifle in the mid 80's. I basically just put it in the closet until about 4 years ago. I started casting my own conicals, modified my Hawken with the Lyman peep site and got into trying to master the conical. My first mold was a hollow based around 450 grains. Along the way I has a spring break s couple of months prior to elk season so I found parts online. While waiting I pulled my friends Hawken out and put a Lyman peep on it and started shooting it. My friend was right, that gun could shoot much better than mine. So now its number one and the other is the backup. I had a new mold built with a flat base @405 grains. I'm hoping to get drawn for cow tag in Colorado. If I do I'm going to work on that 405. I got a lot of my info from Idaho Lewis and Ron . Sorry, but his last name slipped my mind. He's on here regularly shooting long range with his I think a Lyman GP with Lyman peep and globe front site. I said all this to say the 1:48 twist TC Hawkens can accurately shoot the conicals.

Back