277g 45 Lc bullets in 1/30 45 cal knight how bout light sabots?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymguy

Reaction score
Ive got 30+ pounds of cast pistol bullets. Powder Coated and sized to .452 . Could i smear them in my fingers with something like bore butter and shoot them over T7 ? the alloy is harder than I would have cast for ML bullets at 50 coww: 50 pure.

Whats the lightest bullet I should expect to work in a sabot ?

Just for punching holes in paper and swatting the gong.

Powder coated needs no lube. The problem would be in getting them to load to start, and harder to load on a swabed barrel. Use an over powder wad too. Try them to see and share the range report. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No idea on the powder coated bullets but 45cal bores are not usually large enough for a .452 to start easily. Around .451 is more common.

Ive shot sabot loads as light as a 180gr in a Knight Elite 1-30. They shoot pretty nice. 180gr XTPs shot about the best. Ive shot a few lighter bullets but the 180s shot better. Speer and Nosler have a 180gr also. The Nosler 200gr is really nice but you have to buy them in 250 packs.

What i would try for a little cheaper is the Hornady HAP series in a 180gr. They are a couple bucks less than XTPs. Available in both 180gr and 200gr.

herschel conyers said:
Powder coated needs no lube. The problem would be in getting them to load to start, and harder to load on a swabed barrel. Use an over powder wad too. Try them to see and share the range report. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wont the bore butter help to keep fouling soft?

GM54-120 said:
No idea on the powder coated bullets but 45cal bores are not usually large enough for a .452 to start easily. Around .451 is more common.

Ive shot sabot loads as light as a 180gr in a Knight Elite 1-30. They shoot pretty nice. 180gr XTPs shot about the best. Ive shot a few lighter bullets but the 180s shot better. Speer and Nosler have a 180gr also. The Nosler 200gr is really nice but you have to buy them in 250 packs.

What i would try for a little cheaper is the Hornady HAP series in a 180gr. They are a couple bucks less than XTPs. Available in both 180gr and 200gr.

I ask about light sabots because i already cast for 38 cal pistol. heaviest mould in 38 ive got drops at 170.

I would Do away with the Bore Butter. Get yourself a Good Quality bullet lube, Like Bullshop’s NASA Lube (I highly Recommend his NASA Lube!) Lube can play a HUGE roll in Accuracy!!

I have shot 45 Colt bullets in 2 of my Sidelock Muzzleloaders, first was my Green Mountain LRH which is 1:30 Twist, For whatever reason it did NOT not do so Hot with them? I adjusted powder Charges from mild, to wild, and Different OP Wads, and OP Wad Combos to no avail. 2nd Rifle I tried these same 45 Colt bullets in was my Rice 1:20 Twist, they did very well in this Barrel!! I use, and Swear by 1/8” Thick Wool Felt Over Powder Wads with ANY, and ALL Grease Groove bullets. In a .45 Cal Rifle i use .50 Cal 1/8” Oxyoke Brand Wool Felt Wads. A good bullet Lube, and 1/8” Wool Felt are 2 MAJOR players in accuracy

fhriz5Ym.jpg
ZM7YPokm.jpg

Video shooting 1 of the bullets above
[youtube]cIVf-8REW-Q[/youtube]

zymguy said:
GM54-120 said:

I ask about light sabots because i already cast for 38 cal pistol. heaviest mould in 38 ive got drops at 170.

Good luck, ive never got 45x357 sabots to shoot anywhere near as good as 45x40. Not even close. Get the ones from Precision Rifle if you want to try and size the bullets to .355/9mm

Back