2nd Range Trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't his mk85 percussion cap. Ignition? #11 cap. Pretty low temperature. Unless I'm missing something. Is this gun Shotgun 209 primer Ignition r musket cap? # 11 caps and bh209 just won't fire in any of my sidelocks. R my marlin inline plunger gun. yep marlin made a stainless steel inline.lol. #11 cap Ignition. Both my old mk85's had 11 cap Ignition. Maybe he has updated it r something. Getting that squib load to fire with a #11 cap is just amazing to me. Idaho lewis must have some hot 11caps. R used 209 primers maybe when he got it to go off. I'd have to see it go off on a 25 degree day. Wouldn't want to plan a hunt to find out my loading ideas won't work in deer season weather. Been there done that with bh209. Shot all summer with it in a custom gun. Guess what. Opening morning was 6 degrees. Nice doe came in at alittle after daylight. And snap! Nothing. New module, snap. Nothing. Came home got on net. Really bummed out. Learned others had same problem. Cleaned gun. Was a pain in butt. Powder got down in trigger module when i dumped it out to push bullet out front. Disassemble rifle, put back together. Same load. But used a veggie like forum guy said. Next morning sitting there wondering if I should of drove to a range to check zero after taking it out of stock. Here comes Mr deer of my life. 71/2 year old. My mind went blank! Felt gun pulling in tight to shoulder next thing I recall was recoil! Then staring at him stone dead 18 yards away. Thank goodness for that gun builders stock work. Gun was still sighted in. Later when I got to a range, it was only off by not quite a quarter in. A t 100.

Got a Knight BK92 bought new when they came out, have shot 3 triple 7 pellets for years. When BK209 hit the market and everyone was using it I bought a can and loaded up 70 grains (100 vol) and shot it with a Hornady SST 250 gr. I remember the first time I fired it I tied it down to a frame and wrapped a towel over the plunger, pulled trigger with a string several feet away. Didn't hit the bulls eye but was on paper. I did this several times on different days, and the FPJ and 209 winchester primer was just like the triple 7 pellets....in perfect shape, and less blow back really. Well, that was 6 years ago and several kills with that load, in fact, I now shoot the Knight Red Hot 250 gr. copper bullet that is the same as the Barnes. I weigh all my charges and shoot 110 vol by weight and can put hit 3" high at 100 and drops 5" at 200 yards. I have told this several times on the forums that I talked with a Knight tech. before I shot the Blackhorn and he said the Knight could handle any load of Blackhorn up to 120 vol with no problem with the conversion kit using the full plastic jacket and the 209 primers. They just could not advertise that for the plunger guns. Now I am not saying go out and shoot your gun with Blackhorn, you are responsible to do as you wish, but in my gun and my loads I have shot several cans of Blackhorn....in heat of summer and cold of winter and the gun is as accurate as any muzzleloader I have ever owned.

I'm having trouble understanding what bh209 in a converted 209 primer Ignition and a sabot load has to do with if a squib load and bh209 with just a wad and #11cap will ignite in the severe cold? Did that knight tech tell u why they can't tell u its OK to do what your doing? Sounds like he just said it's a strong gun. Yep it is! It isn't that the gun won't take your load. It's what happens when people start coloring out side the lines. R when a mistake is made in loading it. R when someone shoves a 650 grain bullet down it. When powder goes off it seaks the path of least resistance. Guess what? When the path of resistance is easier out the back than the front guess what happens. That plunger goes backwards. To the point it cocks. Then hot nasty gas and your plastic jacket and primer flys out of action. Not only do u get a bulged barrel. You get a real face full. Take this from someone that's done the we r gonna do what we want crowd. U AINT GONNA LIKE IT. Just my thoughts lol. I'm sure yours r different. It's what makes us humans. Oh and I had on shooting glasses thank God.

Smpkepole, what is a squib load? Dont load with a wad and #11 cap...use a red FPJ and a Winchester 209 primer....just saying what they said that a Knight could take it...that is there business as to why they do not advertise it as ok...just going by what they said and the fact that I have shot many rounds thru my gun and no blown primers, plungers going backwards, cocking itself.....barrel not bulged yet. I have never seen a red FPJ or a 209 primer even start to back out...Never. Now if you got a plunger gun and not set up like I have (FPJ and Winchester 209 primer) I have no idea what kinda results you would get or have had. But, I know what I have and have complete trust in it. Do not do what I am doing before you check all the dots and cross all the x's....know your gun and what it is capable of before you shoot 209 in a plunger gun is all that I am saying.

I did get a squib of BH209 to fire. I used a #11 magnum cap and a wad over the powder. It hang fired, but when off.

I consider it firing off some powder with no projectile to foul the barrel.

Rugerbh103, what is a squip load?
Smpkepole, what is a squib load? Dont load with a wad and #11 cap...use a red FPJ and a Winchester 209 primer....just saying what they said that a Knight could take it...that is there business as to why they do not advertise it as ok...just going by what they said and the fact that I have shot many rounds thru my gun and no blown primers, plungers going backwards, cocking itself.....barrel not bulged yet. I have never seen a red FPJ or a 209 primer even start to back out...Never. Now if you got a plunger gun and not set up like I have (FPJ and Winchester 209 primer) I have no idea what kinda results you would get or have had. But, I know what I have and have complete trust in it. Do not do what I am doing before you check all the dots and cross all the x's....know your gun and what it is capable of before you shoot 209 in a plunger gun is all that I am saying.
Never heard that before.....thanks.

The reply I made was about using a squib load to help with his problems. It was suggested to use bh209 for it. My point was if he does that make sure he tries it in very cold weather to be sure it will work in his rifle when he does his elk hunt. You chimed in with your reply. Which had nothing to do with what I was trying to help him with. Bh209 is just finicky in some guns. The cold makes it worse. Doesn't matter what your bk92 does. Matters what his gun does. And especially if it has #11 cap Ignition. Sure a squib might work in the warm weather don't stake your hunt on it in the cold mountains. Try it out in as close of conditions as u can first. Was my point. If you want to get testy thats your problem lmao. I've got literally dozens of muzzleloaders. And 50 years shooting and watching dozens of others. Belong to a club with over 1800 life members. Soooo don't lead people to think something is safe because u haven't blown your self up yet . You double load r have a brain fart and your gonna find out what happens. Take your rifle put 100 grains volume in it. Stuff a heavy soft slug in it with a wad under bullet. Now do it again. Try your test with it straped down an your towel trick. R just accidentally load it then short start a bullet. Yank your string! Then talk smack to me. It ain't about when u do it all perfect. It's about human error! That why they have recommended load data. 3 pellets isn't loose powder. A double load acts differently with pellets than loose blackhorn. I've got the bulged barrel to prove it. With your light loads of BH209. And 100 by volume is light buy today's guns. My cva holds 170 with 325 grain bullet. And your light weight 250 grain bullet and sabot is allowing u to do what your doing. Keep doing it. It's your eyes! I sure hope your perfect and never accidentally double load r over load it. Is my point! Us suggesting its ok on this forum to disregard manufacturer’s recommendations is just not good. If u have a problem like I'm talking about take knight to court. Tell there attorney it's knights fault! U where told its OK to use a different powder than the manual says is recommended. Your gonna get laughed at. No body at knight is gonna back u up. Just my 2 cents.

The reply I made was about using a squib load to help with his problems. It was suggested to use bh209 for it. My point was if he does that make sure he tries it in very cold weather to be sure it will work in his rifle when he does his elk hunt. You chimed in with your reply. Which had nothing to do with what I was trying to help him with. Bh209 is just finicky in some guns. The cold makes it worse. Doesn't matter what your bk92 does. Matters what his gun does. And especially if it has #11 cap Ignition. Sure a squib might work in the warm weather don't stake your hunt on it in the cold mountains. Try it out in as close of conditions as u can first. Was my point. If you want to get testy thats your problem lmao. I've got literally dozens of muzzleloaders. And 50 years shooting and watching dozens of others. Belong to a club with over 1800 life members. Soooo don't lead people to think something is safe because u haven't blown your self up yet . You double load r have a brain fart and your gonna find out what happens. Take your rifle put 100 grains volume in it. Stuff a heavy soft slug in it with a wad under bullet. Now do it again. Try your test with it straped down an your towel trick. R just accidentally load it then short start a bullet. Yank your string! Then talk smack to me. It ain't about when u do it all perfect. It's about human error! That why they have recommended load data. 3 pellets isn't loose powder. A double load acts differently with pellets than loose blackhorn. I've got the bulged barrel to prove it. With your light loads of BH209. And 100 by volume is light buy today's guns. My cva holds 170 with 325 grain bullet. And your light weight 250 grain bullet and sabot is allowing u to do what your doing. Keep doing it. It's your eyes! I sure hope your perfect and never accidentally double load r over load it. Is my point! Us suggesting its ok on this forum to disregard manufacturer’s recommendations is just not good. If u have a problem like I'm talking about take knight to court. Tell there attorney it's knights fault! U where told its OK to use a different powder than the manual says is recommended. Your gonna get laughed at. No body at knight is gonna back u up. Just my 2 cents.

Good response, and your so right, I read a reloading blog, theres so many new reloader on there, pushing the limits and loading max+ cartridges its not funny, and if you chime in they seam offended.
Also a lot of new loader on there wanting loading info because they do not want to spend time doing the book work or latter testing there loads. Thinking your loading info will sot in there gun just like the gun you developed it for.

Back