300gr XTP Blackhorn 209 loads?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been many opinions already posted, the video posted of Ron" test is not an opinion but testing by shooting.

IMHO, you mag bullet will do an awesome job on any North american game animal with no more than 80 gr. Volume as max charge of BH209. aim small hit small, accurate hits always win compared to light speed misses.

Ken

Interested in this thread as I have been looking to switch to Speer Deep Curls or Hornady XTP's for 50cal muzzie. I read another posting where somebody had done extensive testing with XTP bullets and found that the non mag XTP bullets fell apart in fragments when pushed at typical muzzie speeds and recommended only shooting the mag bullets in a muzzie. Reading above thread, it appears the recommendation is the opposite. Are there any definitive rules for blackhorn powder charges and bullet recommendations (i.e. below 80gr volume of blackhorn use non-mag bullets and above 80gr use mag bullets)? Confused... Thank you.

OP,

As many others have reported already...I used the Hornady 300 gr XTP Mag for the first time this year, my load was very accurate with 100 gr measured of BH, Winchester primers and the black Harvester crushed rib sabots.

Took a buck a week ago, double lung shot hit exactly where I was aiming and the deer fell over on the spot then got up to make it 10-15 yards where it expired.

Previously I have strictly used Barnes T-EZ’s and Expanders for hunting with perfect results.

Ive used the .452 cal 300 grain XTP with 90/100 grains of powder since the 90's and they all have been bang/flops except one it made it a couple yards. Longest shot was estimated 175yds. I didnt find the 44 call 240/300gr to have the pure shock or performance that the 45 cal does. I did try the SST when it came out. 85yrd shot and it ran 30yds before it dropped. ZERO blood and went through the center of both shoulders, same caliber exit hole. I always aimed for the crease behind the shoulder, mid way up. Dont know if i have mag bullets or not, my old 50 pack is marked 45230. Every BP shot deer have all been pass throughs.

120 gr blackhorn 209 and 300 xtp mag is the most accurate load I've ever used in my tc omega and is good for just about anything you want to hunt in North America

My Omega is deadly with 110 grains bh209 or 777 with either a 300 deep curl or Barnes 290 tmz. Same point of impact at 100 yards.

Back