.308 vs. 30.06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the stock fit you? The LOP has to be pretty close or you'll be fighting the rifle. If it's too short and the buttstock isn't fully planted in your shoulder pocket, that's going to amplify the recoil impulses. Muzzle breaks will reduce recoil without reducing the ballistic performance. Most sportsmen don't like how they look, so they won't use them. The factory trigger can usually be carefully stoned to make it nicer.

Actually the stock fits me very well. I am a small to medium frame guy and I can shoulder it well.

I am new to larger caliber rifles and free float barrels. Right now I've just been breaking in the rifle and trying to get a hang of it. Soon I'll try posting some five shot groups.

For the moment I am using factory ammo. Eventually I may try reloading. I am saving all my brass. Since it is bolt action it makes it easier to save from the "range vultures". People are picking off brass as you shoot.

I went with 30.06 and the recoil is very acceptable when I have a good grip. When I do reload I'm interested in the reduced recoil rounds.

I think reloading would be fun but it's another endless pit of money that needs to be spent. I'll probably end up having to get a chronograph too.
Half-cocked, it is not as expensive as you might think to start reloading, and yes it is fun. Go to pawn shops, auctions, craigslist, and you can start with some good used equipment. Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and other good manufacturers of reloading equipment sell quality that should last a lifetime. As far as reloading supplies(powder, primers, cases, bullets), unfortunately may be very difficult to come by at this time. That being said, don't give up, the folks on these forums can always be informative about when and where to get products and availability. We live near the NRA Whittington Center and it is always easy to get brass there.

One thing about used equipment....make sure you look it over closely. I also believe the RCBS equipment is excellent. If you're not familiar with reloading, take a friend who is a reloader. He or she can be an excellent benefit to you. And always remember, IF IN DOUBT-ASK IDAHOLEWIS. He'll keep you on the right path.

Good luck buddy and stay safe.

Last edited:
You can put a muzzle brake on your rifle to reduce recoil and it certainly does help a lot. The downside is that you may not like the increase in the report. I had a 30-06 that I had a muzzle brake and the sound was report was like a damned cannon went off, however, it cut the recoil to a tolerable level. I went and bought a quality recoil pad on it, and removed the muzzle brake. Recoil was very much more tolerable and report went back to a decent level.

A compensator would be a help in keeping muzzle rise down to a minimum.

No stopping the ammo train. Just bought another 2 boxes of Federal 30.06.

If only my 9 mm where this easy to find. This brings us to six boxes and I've had the rifle about what three weeks maybe less. Yeah it's getting expensive I might seriously look into the reloading stuff.

Now do I really need a tumbler and walnut hulls and all that stuff?

I hear it's somewhat complicated process. Well maybe not so much complicated as you need to be organized.

I need tools to measure the brass such as a micrometer, tools to possibly cut the brass, tools to deburr the brass, something like a Tumblr to clean the brass, a special powder measure, a press, powder, primers, bullets. Anything I'm missing.

I mean if I wanted to get started with just a bare Bones budget and eventually work my way up what would I be looking at total and supplies including powder bullets etc etc.

So far six boxes two weeks average of $18 a box. That's over a hundred bucks right there.

This video is amazing! 30.06 @ 2800 yards!

Last edited:
Lots of .308 fans out there too lol.

It's a damn tough choice. I see the 30.06 as the magnum to the .308 however I heard the .308 is a higher compression case.

Honestly if the energy at 100 yards is the same or similar I guess I'd opt for the caliber that can offer more accuracy. Back to the .308

Damn maybe I'll just flip a coin. Another thing I was considering is cost per shot. Welp they are pretty much the same! The only thing that cost a little more is those funny looking creedmores or 300 magnum. I wasn't looking at those calibers anyway.

Soooooo I’d stay away from the 6.5CM if you go the 6.5 route-no for any bad reason - the 6.5 prc has way more energy and match/beat 30-06 with the same weight class of bullet and way flatter shooting- barrel life isn’t terrible (around 2k rounds) and the 143 eld x is only 35.99 a box of 20. I always call the 6.5 creedmoor the 6.5 needmoor.

I also soo a lot of 308 and love it as a round- I honestly think it most basic North America hunt round you could own. So Ivote for this out of the choices at hand.

270 or 308 cannot go wrong unless your hunting game larger than Whitetail deer. For me if I were to go larger it would be 300win mag.

Back