.308 vs. 30.06?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder about that recoil. I wonder if will be similar to the muzzleloader which has a pretty decent kick.

I will find out soon. I have cleaned the bore and I have changed the scope and she is ready to be sighted in.

I could start a whole new thread about my questions regarding recoil.

I always wondered if recoil affects accuracy or perceived recoil effects accuracy. When we point the muzzle and pull the trigger does the bullet leave the bore before recoil has anything to do with changing the bore position.

If actual recoil doesn't affect the bullets trajectory then recoil is just a little bit of a nuisance felt. Of course this being a 30.06 a lot of that perceived recoil will have to do with the bullet weight being shot out of the gun.

And that's really another cool thing I like about the 30-06 is that there is so much variety in the bullet weight. Not to mention believe it or not we're almost at hunting season and even in this crisis 30.06 ammo was on the shelf.

And there's a side to me that just loves the history of this cartridge. that has been around over 100 years.

If I'm right with a low grain bullet and a smaller charge I might even be able to hunt a rabbit with the 30-06. Someone said from mouse to moose.
Half.... Congrats on the buy. I doubt you will be disappointed. I own 2 Axis - a 308 and 7mm. both perform as advertised For many years the 3006 held all major full bore match titles. Then the 308 started to take over. Not because of better ballistics but because there was so many surplus rifles and ammo available CHEAP and shooters followed. As I have aged I have gone to lighter fire arms and a Mauser lightweight in 06 puts 168g boat tails where they need to go and I never have felt dominated by recoil. Let us know when your buy is no longer a virgin.

The 7mm Rem Mag has enough recoil for me. It’s manageable for sure, but still kicks pretty hard. I had a browning BAR a it wasn’t too bad, still a noticeable difference over the .06

Just for kicks, Lol, try a 12 gauge shotgun with deer slugs.
The 06' will push you more than slap you. The 410 bore is kinda small for waterfowl and most likely not legal in most states. Upland birds and small game is generally a better option.
You sound like a new shooter, my best advice is to learn safety while shooting and hunting.
Have fun and good luck. Be safe.
Half.... Congrats on the buy. I doubt you will be disappointed. I own 2 Axis - a 308 and 7mm. both perform as advertised For many years the 3006 held all major full bore match titles. Then the 308 started to take over. Not because of better ballistics but because there was so many surplus rifles and ammo available CHEAP and shooters followed. As I have aged I have gone to lighter fire arms and a Mauser lightweight in 06 puts 168g boat tails where they need to go and I never have felt dominated by recoil. Let us know when your buy is no longer a virgin.

Most definitely will update. Excited to get both the axis and now the mark II.

Though I wish that accutrigger was on the axis. Although after dry firing the axis the original trigger ain't half bad. Not to mention it is a cheap mod with an aftermarket spring.

Scope has been replaced with something better on the axis.

Seems cabelas also has a Ruger lcp for 250. Tempting... The mark II was ordered online to store so once that gets there I will go in for the background screen and hopefully get approved there. if not it's an hour drive home and I have to go back again. Both times I have recently applied they have been delayed by two weeks!

Eventually I will get a shotgun however I have many questions and know very little about them. Hatsan makes a cool tactical looking shotgun. I am also concerned about small bird shot and lead in meat. I'm pretty sure the caliber will be 12 gauge since it's the most popular. I know very little about things like choke barrels. I've already spent a ton of money so I'm going to really research before purchasing the shotgun.

With the 22 and the 30.06 I am considering copper only ammo. A little more expensive but who cares if it means I can fill a freezer full of meat. Particularly rabbit I like rabbit.

I think according to Federal regulations a shotgun is absolutely mandatory when hunting ducks I like duck too so eventually I plan on hunting them.

Getting back to the 30-06 versus 308 I'm definitely glad I went with the 30-06 especially now that I know that the m1 Garand was also chambered in 30.06. over a hundred years of history in that cartridge. Something that's been used in multiple wars. The cartridge has American history written all over it.

Screenshot_20201003-055847.png
Screenshot_20201003-055749.png

Last edited:
Update as promised.

Quick summary...

Really like it. Just got sighted in and ran out of ammo. I did not bore sighted I tried siding it in at 50 yards. I'm nowhere near a pro so it took me 20 rounds to get on paper. Last shot was in the nine ring.

Barrel heated up pretty good after about 5 rounds. I really enjoy the kick of the 30-06. No word on accuracy yet but I'm sure it'll do fine.

Now I need about a thousand rounds of really cheap ammo.

Bore sighters are inexpensive and save you a ton on ammo. I have 2. One i use and a loaner for friends and i take it to the range in case i see someone having trouble. When you get familiar with your boresighter you can use it to double check a scope if you have to remove it for anything. Super handy.

Bore sighters are inexpensive and save you a ton on ammo. I have 2. One i use and a loaner for friends and i take it to the range in case i see someone having trouble. When you get familiar with your boresighter you can use it to double check a scope if you have to remove it for anything. Super handy.
I think the most reassuring use of a boresighter is to check the alignment of the scope prior to a hunt. Record your shots and your reading on the sighter. Then to be sure your scope is still on check your reading. I do not try to adjust back 'on'. I grab and check another rifle and hunt with confidence in my equipment.

When I mount a new scope, I always bore sight my rifle by putting it in my portable shooting rest and look at something outside the window. I center it as best as I can through the bore and adjust the crosshairs to match. It may not be perfect, but at least I'm on paper. That is of course you are able to remove the bolt/ breech plug and can look down the bore. Then when I go to my range, I start sighting in at 25 yds, but 50 will work just as well.

When I mount a new scope, I always bore sight my rifle by putting it in my portable shooting rest and look at something outside the window. I center it as best as I can through the bore and adjust the crosshairs to match. It may not be perfect, but at least I'm on paper. That is of course you are able to remove the bolt/ breech plug and can look down the bore. Then when I go to my range, I start sighting in at 25 yds, but 50 will work just as well.

Lol that was my approach. I just wasn't very good at it.

I set up at 50 pulled the bolt looking down the bore like a telescope and without moving the rifle checked my cross hairs.

What I ended up doing is lining up the cross hairs on the target. Lifting my head up and out of the site picture then taking a shot to see where the dust flew lol.

I can tell you first shot I had a bad primer or something cause bullet never went off. My heart sank. Cartridges number 2 to 20 worked just fine.

Oh and the scope nearly smacked me lol. I love this 30.06 round.

I used to do that too. My wife walked in on me one time :snipe:and nearly $#!+ her pants. :roll: Thought i had snapped. So she budgeted for a couple bore sighters in case someone outside happened to be nosy and saw that scene.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284011997407

If you like to shoot that much you should really get a reloader. Its cheaper shooting and you can make adjustments to cartridges until you get a super accurate round. Now is not the time however. Everything guns and ammo is in short supply and or expensive. After the election should be better as long as the right side wins.

Last edited:
My main hunting rifle for many years was the Winchester model 70 in 30-06. It has a custom wood stock by Boyd with a laser etched deer on it, that the boys bought me for Christmas one year and a leupold 3-9 scope, and custom muzzle brake, Pachmayr recoil pad. You can shoot this thing all day long and enjoy it. I always used 165gr BT cartridges by federal. It has taken both deer and elk, without any problems. I have a marlin 30-30 just to play with. And one Christmas was presented with a Springfield M1A, the civilian version of the M14 I was issued in the military. Going to take it out to the Whittington center and zero, then see what kind of reliable distances I can take it to. Going to use 168gr factory for the first trial runs, then switch to custom loads.

My main hunting rifle for many years was the Winchester model 70 in 30-06. It has a custom wood stock by Boyd with a laser etched deer on it, that the boys bought me for Christmas one year and a leupold 3-9 scope, and custom muzzle brake, Pachmayr recoil pad. You can shoot this thing all day long and enjoy it. I always used 165gr BT cartridges by federal. It has taken both deer and elk, without any problems. I have a marlin 30-30 just to play with. And one Christmas was presented with a Springfield M1A, the civilian version of the M14 I was issued in the military. Going to take it out to the Whittington center and zero, then see what kind of reliable distances I can take it to. Going to use 168gr factory for the first trial runs, then switch to custom loads.
The Winchester model 70, has been called the rifleman's rifle.

I have the option of getting a Ruger .308 or a Savage 30.06. or was it the other way around? Any way one is a .308 other is 30.06

I am leaning towards the 30.06 because it looks like a .308 magnum to me. They are pretty close.

The .308 has the whole military/law enforcement appeal however 30.06 bullets are in stock.

Opinions?
You can't go wrong either way. Right now the 30-06 cartridges are more plentiful. If your loading your own ammo, I'd go .308. Or in my case I'd try to buy both😇

After that you will need a re-barrel or a setback.

I would think that most medium and big game hunting rifles don't see much over 200 rounds during their life.

I have one going on 25 years, maybe at best 100 rounds through it. I will be long gone before it sees 200 rounds.

Light strike, it will likely fire next time.

That maybe because the mag was not in properly. It was my first shot so I may have "excited" and not put it in properly. I'm not sure that affected anything because around got chambered. I have heard that if you don't put them in right there may be feeding issues.

That would be my one gripe with this rifle. The magazine system is not very good. I don't get that super positive click on when the magazine is set in.

If you like to shoot that much you should really get a reloader. Its cheaper shooting and you can make adjustments to cartridges until you get a super accurate round. Now is not the time however. Everything guns and ammo is in short supply and or expensive. After the election should be better as long as the right side wins.

This is something I'd absolutely like to get into. I'll eventually set up some money for a good reloader system there's a lot of little bits and pieces involved and they all cost money.

They do however save you in the money in the long run especially if you love to shoot. Hey ammo prices being the way that they are even 9 mm are worth reloading.

After that you will need a re-barrel or a setback.

I would think that most medium and big game hunting rifles don't see much over 200 rounds during their life.

I have one going on 25 years, maybe at best 100 rounds through it. I will be long gone before it sees 200 rounds.

I agree. I learned that the hard way unfortunately. After I purchased my rifle I learned that these things don't really last especially with the sport barrels.

for the price I'll probably just end up buying another one if the barrel wears out. Until I find the caliber that I really like and then I'll drop the money on something a little nicer.

Honestly it's one thing that I never thought about is how many percentage of your gun you wear down every time you're at the range. And that depends on the gun caliber and type of barrel.

Obviously the 22LR is less prone to worry than the hot 30-06 rounds that put the barrel through its paces.

Live and learn I'm still happy with the purchase even if I get 500 rounds through the barrel that would be pretty awesome. And realistically if it takes two to three dear and it's lifetime it's paid for itself.

My main hunting rifle for many years was the Winchester model 70 in 30-06.

My first centerfire rifle was a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 that I new bought when I was 18. I loved the simplicity of the gun in all aspects and hunted it in a couple western states successfully on deer and pronghorns. For several years I had a love affair with pre-64 model 70's and traded into a pre-64 in 257 Roberts using the 06. Eventually I had a six pre-64gun collection that ranged from a 220 Swift to a .458 Magnum. They turned out to be a very profitable investment.

Back