.308 Win 1,100 Yards 4” 3 Shot Group

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I finally got a Chance this Morning to Streeeeeeetch the Barrel out on my Little .308 Win, Stock Remington 700 Rifle, Target was Ranged from Both Sides with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, 1,090, and 1,095 Yards, I Dialed for 1,100 Yards and Shot a 3 Shot Group, over the Hood of my Truck. Shells used were My Handloads, 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets, Hodgdon Varget Powder. Bullets Seated .0025 Jump to The Lands

I need a Piece of Thin 1/4” AR500 Plate for this Kind of Really Long Stuff in order to Hear/See it. My AR500 Plate in the Video here is 20X20” Square, And 1/2” Thick, We are talking HEAVY! Like 60 Pounds! My Cartridge guns at this Distance Just Don’t Stand a Chance at Moving it.

1,100 Yard 3 Shot Group measures 4” inches, For this Distance, this is one of the Best 3 Shot Groups of my Life :lewis:
ruEdLoLl.jpg

This is the Last shot in the Video, The Hit on my Little 8” Gong. It was Starting to get Windy on my Side of the Canyon, And Rain was Starting in. After this Shot, I had to Hurry to keep from Getting Wet. By the Time i got over to my Gong it was POURING Down Rain
ZwH2Z0Xl.jpg

This is All i was able to Find at the Gong, These Little 165 Grain Bullets leaving the Muzzle at 2,725 FPS Would Stil Be DEADLY at 1,100 Yards
A4fbCeZl.jpg

Thanks Guy’s, I sure enjoy doing this stuff :lewis:

I was just playing on Google Earth at My Shoot above, It’s amazing how Accurate this Stuff is. My Leica 1600B Rangefinder Hit 1090, and 1,095 Yards, Ranged from Both Ends. In the Google Earth Photo here you can See the Old Logging Rd Where i walked my target in from and Set it up on the Ridge line.
WbCXQ9Zl.jpg

Nice Lewis! Good shooting man good to hear your still playing with that’s 308. Now off to get that 45 to get there!! Lol still alive here we need to do this some time man!

That would be a target to carry and display in your billfold except it weighs 60 pounds. Nice shooting.

I made a BIG Mistake When i bought that Darn Gong, The Guy I bought it from (Blue Steel Targets) Tried to talk me out of it, He tried to talk me in to 3/8” But I insisted on this BIG 1/2” CHUNK :rolleyes: My mind was thinking Longevity? I didn’t want to Have to Buy another one anytime Soon. And not having Shot much Steel, i figured Bigger would be Better? I soon learned that is NOT the case! This BIG Gong doesn’t make Much Noise, and the ONLY thing i have that will Move it much at all is my 500 Plus Grain Bullets, And even they Don’t do much. I ended up Buying the Little 8” 3/8” Thick Gong, 3/8” is DEFINITELY the way to go!! It gives off a MUCH Louder Ring, And actually Swings :lewis:

Long Story Short, The BIG Gong is gonna get CUT UP in to 4 Pieces Soon :) I have a New Gong in The Process as i type this, It was given to me Yesterday. I Just need to Get a Piece Welded for it, It Should RING REALLY Good

This is what I’m Doing, Minus the Stand. Old Farm Discs are EXTREMELY TOUGH, They are Thin Enough that they make a Lound RING, And they are Easy to Find

I finally got a Chance this Morning to Streeeeeeetch the Barrel out on my Little .308 Win, Stock Remington 700 Rifle, Target was Ranged from Both Sides with my Leica 1600B Rangefinder, 1,090, and 1,095 Yards, I Dialed for 1,100 Yards and Shot a 3 Shot Group, over the Hood of my Truck. Shells used were My Handloads, 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets, Hodgdon Varget Powder. Bullets Seated .0025 Jump to The Lands

I need a Piece of Thin 1/4” AR500 Plate for this Kind of Really Long Stuff in order to Hear/See it. My AR500 Plate in the Video here is 20X20” Square, And 1/2” Thick, We are talking HEAVY! Like 60 Pounds! My Cartridge guns at this Distance Just Don’t Stand a Chance at Moving it.

1,100 Yard 3 Shot Group measures 4” inches, For this Distance, this is one of the Best 3 Shot Groups of my Life :lewis:
ruEdLoLl.jpg

This is the Last shot in the Video, The Hit on my Little 8” Gong. It was Starting to get Windy on my Side of the Canyon, And Rain was Starting in. After this Shot, I had to Hurry to keep from Getting Wet. By the Time i got over to my Gong it was POURING Down Rain
ZwH2Z0Xl.jpg

This is All i was able to Find at the Gong, These Little 165 Grain Bullets leaving the Muzzle at 2,725 FPS Would Stil Be DEADLY at 1,100 Yards
A4fbCeZl.jpg

That would be a target to carry and display in your billfold except it weighs 60 pounds. Nice shooting.

I'd buy a new piece of steel. And keep that for posterity.

I have never pursued shooting at that distance. The extent of my needs has been groundhogs at 300 yards or so and that is rare. Where I hunt them "around vegetable fields" I can always get closer. There is a lot of satisfaction in vaporizing a target at distance. I admire your commitment to perfection.

Thanks Guy’s, I don’t shoot my Centerfire Rifles very much anymore, I am pretty Dedicated to my Open Sight, Sidelock Muzzleloaders, But i do Enjoy the Times i Grab a Centerfire and Go have fun with it, Just like this 1100 Yard .308 Outing, To Put 3 Shots in 4” inches at 1,100 Yards EVERYTHING Had to be Right, and it was :lewis: My Bullet was Right at 40 Feet Above the Target at it’s highest point in the Trajectory Rainbow

I did get a Better Picture of my Group on the Gong before i Paint over it, No telling when, or if i will ever get back out to this Same Spot to do this again? They are Now Logging the Timber on that Hillside, when they are done they will Tear that Old Rd out where i was Driving my Gong over to, Making it impossible to get there
00aiYvQl.jpg

WOW WAY TO GO LEW!!! Now show them you can do it with your Hawken with the Rice bbl. 😂

It can DEFINITELY Be Done!! My 1:18 Twist Green Mountain Barrel in The Renegade Stock with Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang Peep Sight has PLENTY of Adjustment to Make this Shot. The Problem is my Eyesight, I can’t even See the Gong over there at 1,100 Yards with my Naked Eye? I would have to use a Much Bigger Target

This Rifle is VERY CAPABLE of doing this 1,100 Yard Shot, and then Some :lewis: When i am Zeroed at 100 Yards, I have 320 MOA Of Elevation Adjustment left in this Staff, I could Shoot the “Wasserburger Mile” With this thing, if i could See it? Those guy’s shoot at a HUGE target, So i am FULLY Confident that i could do it!

Here is the sight set on my 100 Yard Zero
EXHF9e5m.jpg

I have LOTS of Elevation to play with here, The Whole Staff (320 MOA)
M2cjFQZl.jpg

Back