35 Whelen and Ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That gun of yern looks kinda lite
Weight is your friend when you shoot the big bullets
The Whelen is a noted cast bullet shooter as well
I have a real good bullet for the Colonel that weighs in at 260 gr's.
I size them to .359-360 and gas check them
if you would like some let me know

Last edited:
That gun of yern looks kind lite
Weight is your friend when you shoot the big bullets
The Whelen is a noted cast bullet shooter as well
I have a real good bullet for the Colonel that weighs in at 260 gr's.
I size them to .359-360 and gas check them
if you would like some let me know

I've been meaning to weigh it. I totally agree about the weight. The plastic stock on my first T/C Thunderhawk was way to light. I pulled the butt pad off and put in a pound of lead balls. Tamed that recoil down real fast. If this kicks too hard, I will see of I can do the same.

A 260 gr bullet sounds awesome. I will definitely keep your offer in mind.

Don't know anything about that particular rifle but I own alot of single shots from various manufactures and use a few of them routinely. I have had a LOT of rifles. Had meaning before the great river boating accident of 2021. Almost none of my rifles have ever seen a factory round. I have a wicked load for the 35 Whelen using a Barnes bullet. PM me if you would like my recipe.

I have a wicked load for the 35 Whelen using a Barnes bullet.
Same here. The Barnes first X-bullets in 250 grain. Heres one (.358) I dug out of a Colorado 6x6 Elk I killed just north of Estes Park. Looks like it took a bit of a beating. Out of a 35 Whelen. Hit the elk at about 2600 FPS. Yeah, I was just about standing on him when I pulled the trigger.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts