350g Federal Premium Muzzleloader Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning we shot the 350 grain Federal muzzle loader bullet through the stack of carpet, shelving, and water jugs. Load was 80g Blackhorn, range was 25 yard.

The bullet went through all 5 jugs, and tore a ways into the phone book, but bounced off, and was found on the ground just to the side of the horse. It now weighs 299.3g. The bullet appears to be solid lead alloy.

IMG_0725.JPG

I asked Federal why this bullet would be tougher than a 348 powerbelt aerotip and they answered that the bullet was an alloy with antimony and was tougher than pure lead. I like what I see and hear. Here is what they said:

"Our bullets are a Lead alloy containing a small percentage of Antimony, making them harder. In ballistics test shot into gelatin at 50yds we are seeing 22-25" of penetration, weight retention between 80-95%, using 100gr of Triple Seven pellets. "

As far as expansion at longer distances, I thought that was the reason he only used 80 gr of powder, to keep the velocity down and mimic long range??

Wheel weights are made with Antimony alloy as well. Makes them less malleable (harder).
I'd bet it is cheaper that pure Pb as well..

I asked Federal why this bullet would be tougher than a 348 powerbelt aerotip and they answered that the bullet was an alloy with antimony and was tougher than pure lead. I like what I see and hear. Here is what they said:

"Our bullets are a Lead alloy containing a small percentage of Antimony, making them harder. In ballistics test shot into gelatin at 50yds we are seeing 22-25" of penetration, weight retention between 80-95%, using 100gr of Triple Seven pellets. "

As far as expansion at longer distances, I thought that was the reason he only used 80 gr of powder, to keep the velocity down and mimic long range??

I'm surprised to hear they are harder than pure lead. Here's a bullet I killed an elk with at 140 yards. Charge was 110 gr of BH209

MCoeVXL.jpg

it is less than 80 grn

I'm surprised to hear they are harder than pure lead. Here's a bullet I killed an elk with at 140 yards. Charge was 110 gr of BH209

MCoeVXL.jpg

110 BH is a pretty stout charge. A powerbelt bullet shot at that elk at the same charge/distance probably would have come apart. That bullet looks great! I like it even more

it is less than 80 grn

Don’t catch your meaning. Ron shot at close range so he could be sure and capture the bullet. But he used 80 gr to simulate the speed this bullet would have been at longer distances. I would say it expanded very well in his experiment. His experiment and the one recovered from an elk at 140 yards makes me think this would be a good elk bullet.

And you both realize this thread is 7 years old right. Still good info.

Last edited:
110 BH is a pretty stout charge. A powerbelt bullet shot at that elk at the same charge/distance probably would have come apart. That bullet looks great! I like it even more

I don't use Powerbelts for that reason. The Bor-Loks shot better for me as I increased the load. 110 gr seemed to be the sweet spot. Based on my ballistics research the velocity at 100 yards would be similar to an 80 gr load at the muzzle so I was surprised to see that degree of expansion. It's a great bullet design but for me they could be a little harder.

I shot some of the 275gr Federals a few years ago and couldn't get them to group as well as the 300gr Barnes Originals with a sabot. I love the ease of loading the Federals, and they didn't shoot poorly, just not as well as the Barnes and Parkers (I don't shoot the Parkers anymore due to very poor expansion that I have experienced).

Latest posts

Back