.357 loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm planning on taking my Python with 6" barrel to Crossville,,just for grins,,and I really LOVE shooting the thing,,,although I don't want to abuse her. I've loaded up some 180gr. Hornady XTPs with 14gr. of H110. You pros think this is enough for hogs as a backup?? Suggestions?? This is a VERY accurate load for this pea shooter.

Yes, I think it should be plenty...

does that python have full auto? :think:

!

Sure that's enough! But that load is WIDE OPEN!

If that were my Python, the most beautiful revolver EVER except for a Peacemaker/SSA/Diamondback, I'd use a kinder, gentler load. :D Like 13.0gr... 8)

Yeah Chuck,,it's pretty much max with the 14gr.,and like I said, I don't want to abuse her. She won't be getting a steady diet of the 180s, that's for sure. It's really hard to tell by recoil on the Pythons,,as they are such smooth shooters. I'll back 'em down to 13gr. Thanks guys! :wink:

I used to load a ton of 357 mag and 44 mag with H110. I mean runs of a thousand or more. I used h110 mostly until I found surplus H108. It is very very similar to H110 but you must reduce the charge by 13 percent, when I bought it the vendor told me to load it exactly the same. Imagine my surprise when I got 1900 fps with a 180 gr JHP in a ported SW 629 6 inch barrel! Well at least no damage was done, I researched some more and found that at a 13 percent reduction it worked great, matching velocitys of H110. Accuracy was very good to and I went on to kill alot of deer with that load. I dont know if it is still available but it was so cheap! I bought my first 8lb jug for 40 dollars! I think the last jug I bought was 64 dollars.

That was what,,,30 years ago?? :shock: :lol: I think 2400 was popular then too,,wasn't it? Still a good powder,,but dirty as heck.

When I had pistols my Ruger Blackhawk loved:

158 gr XTP/HP over 6.5 gr W231

Back