.358 Jacketed Sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I’ve got the Jacketed Sabotless Bug pretty Bad! :D

I need to Quit calling my new J Carp .36 Cal Barrel a .36, it is actually a .35 Caliber, The Bore Diameter is about .358, So why Not try some .358 Jacketed Sabotless in it? There’s never been a better time than NOW :p

I am gonna push these pretty Hard this first outing for no other reason than i want to see what kind of Velocity i can get with the 250 Grain Speer Hot Cor Bullets? I’m thinking 100 Grains of Swiss 2F for my first Test? Maybe 110 Grains? Chronograph Data to come :lewis: Any Guesses What These things will be traveling at? 32” Barrel 1:15 Twist. I will short Range Group Test these first, 50-60 Yards

2UlM9D6l.jpg

Fs81a7Tl.jpg

And these I found at a Gun Shop yesterday, They came from an Estate sell, I am 99% Sure they are Woodleigh Bullets? They are .358 on the Dot, and weigh 300 Grains. For the Price, I couldn’t go wrong :lewis:
g2VmyTbl.jpg

OHA88qwm.jpg

I paid a Whopping 5 Bucks for this Bag of Bullets :) I haven’t counted, but there must be around 100 of them
ahN1p8Cl.jpg

Last edited:
looking forward to see what it will do. Do you think you might be pushing peak pressure a little too high with 100 gr Swiss.. those small calibers build pressure a lot faster then bigger bores is what Ive been told. I know a good gun/barrel should handle it but that's about double the recommended powder load for a .36.

Those could also be original Barnes bullets??

Possible? But I’m pretty sure they are Woodleigh. This was the only bag of .358 they had, Lots of .338, and .375, All were 5 bucks a Bag, DARN GOOD deal! These things shot good in my Gun the 1st go around, until the Nipple Flash Hole Blew out :eek:

looking forward to see what it will do. Do you think you might be pushing peak pressure a little too high with 100 gr Swiss.. those small calibers build pressure a lot faster then bigger bores is what Ive been told. I know a good gun/barrel should handle it but that's about double the recommended powder load for a .36.

Dean, Velocity was High (1,784 fps) But she was HELL on the Nipple :D You are Correct About the Small Bores building pressure faster, They are TOUGH on Nipples (it will be Platinum lined for this Rifle) Yesterday was a Crap Shoot, and was Totally my fault, Long story short i Blew the Nipple Flash Hole out, and did so in less than 10 Shots. The 100, and 80 Grain Charges is what did it, I went back home and weighed more Sensible Charges to Group Shoot, BUT at that time I didn’t realize the Nipple was Shot out? I wish i had known, I would have Changed it, My shooting results would have been Different. Since i was 12 miles or so from home, I ended up doing an Educational Video on Nipple Flash Hole Wear and Accuracy, I decided to make something Good of a Bad Day. I seen enough to know the Rifle is gonna Shoot these Copper Jacketed bullets Just fine :lewis: 50-60 Grains is PLENTY of powder in this Rifle, Along with a Platinum lined Nipple for longevity

Last edited:
I thought they could be Barnes Originals also. I have the Barnes originals .358 in 300 grains in .032 copper jacket thickness and in .049 jacket thickness. Im looking at them now and the bullets you have seem to have a slight gap between the copper and the lead. Not so on the Barnes bullets Im looking at. Also the profile does not match either of the bullets I have. Pretty sure they are not Barnes.

Back