.36 Cal Mold (ALREADY!)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Unreal! Tom just drew this up for me, i ordered the 23rd, It was in my Mailbox this morning!? Even with a Major Holiday. Talk about getting with it! I have done quite a bit of business with Accurate Molds in the last few years, I cannot say enough good about Them! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND! :yeah:

I really like the looks of this Bullet, I will Degrease the Mold in the Morning and Cast up a Little Pile of them. I need a Barrel Now! :D I think i will have that before long as well, Hopefully anyway
kJvXNyGl.jpg

edmehlig said:
That looks like one LONG BULLET! I would think that should be very accurate?

If it’s not, i will always think it should have been? :lol:

Idaholewis said:
edmehlig said:

Nice. Do you know what charge you'd be using with that? Will you need to size it in some manner? Bullet weight?

ENCORE50A said:
Idaholewis said:
edmehlig said:

Nice. Do you know what charge you'd be using with that? Will you need to size it in some manner? Bullet weight?

I don’t even have the Barrel yet, This is a “Horse before the Buggy” deal if there ever was one :lol:

I went with the Mold on the Large size so i could Customize a Push through Sizer for the Bore, The Bore “Should” end up at .361-.362, My bullet is dropping at .365-.366 (Exactly where i wanted it to) I have a .358 and .359 Sizer, i will probably open the .358 up to whatever i end up needing, But obviously have to wait to get the Barrel. The .359 will get altered for a Paper Patch bullet (if need be?) if things go well with this Grease Groove Bullet

As for powder charge, I will play in every direction when i get the Barrel, i am hoping to get the bullet moving about 1400 fps or there abouts, Probably 70 Grains of Swiss 2F? The Barrel will have the Final say as to what exactly it Wants :yeah:

Got some poured up :yeah: I am gonna pull the mold apart and Give it an EXTREME Deep Cleaning, I’ve got it pouring pretty darn good, But stil not to my Liking, a new mold takes a few Casting sessions to really settle in, A really thorough Cleaning/Degreasing speeds the Process up. I will have them “SHARP” Soon :yeah:

Weight with my 1-40 Alloy
Y0RfQMsm.jpg

And here is the little .36 Cal bullet Beside my .45 Cal Elliptical Nose BACO Mold Bullet, This is my largest .45 Cal bullet, She weighs in at 541 Grains
qOhKKjWm.jpg

Had to pull my .36 Secena out of the safe just to relook things over after seeing your post. I'm just glad the guy I bought it from didn't know its actual worth.

ENCORE50A said:
Had to pull my .36 Secena out of the safe just to relook things over after seeing your post. I'm just glad the guy I bought it from didn't know its actual worth.

The Seneca’s are awesome little Rifles! And can bring a mint if in really good shape. I have 2 of them in .36 Cal, Both of mine have the REALLY Rare, hard to find Factory Seneca/Cherokee Tang Mounted Peep sights. I got 1 of mine off Gunbroker, and the other off that Armslist outfit, The Shame part is they both have Bores that are less than perfect (the way i got em), But they Both Shoot Patched Roundball really well. I thought about selling 1 of mine, and Sending the other Barrel to Hoyt for a Re Bore to .40 Cal, But since they Shoot Good I probably won’t do anything with them.

Shooting the little Seneca’s is what actually inspired me to do this Fast Twist build, The .36 Cal is a BAD Dude, Hardly any noticeable Recoil, and they Get with it! I have Pushed 130 Grain Maxi’s at 1800 FPS from 1 of mine, Top of the Load listing in the TC Manual, If it were legal these 36s would be STELLAR on Whitetail :yeah: This Fast Twist Build i am Doing is a very Different animal than the Little Stock rifles

Have you looked into what kinda pressures the .36 will develop shooting that big bullet.. nice looking bullet if legal that would be a deer thumper for sure..

dbowling said:
Have you looked into what kinda pressures the .36 will develop shooting that big bullet.. nice looking bullet if legal that would be a deer thumper for sure..

I have not? At the Velocities we get with these things (1300-1400 fps) I don’t see there being any problem. I Do plan to see how fast i can make her Run though :D I’m thinking 1600 Should be very doable? Who knows about Accuracy? Time will tell

Harleysboss said:
1600..flirting with leading that tiny barrel. GAS CHECKS :poke:

Awful fast to judge there Grass Hoppa! This was with a .36 Maxi ball from one of my Seneca’s, Bullet Base Protected with a Wool Felt OP Wad OF COURSE, Not a Hint of Leading.

Close enough to call 1,800 :yeah:
7nJTptul.jpg

Harleysboss said:
Proof is in the pudding. LOL I'm trying to walk a length of rice paper without leaving a trace.. :D

That little Seneca actually grouped good at that Velocity, that part amazed me. I liked them well enough to make up a good Batch of them

I Shot once, made a sight move and Shot the others
pcJejBJm.jpg
adGTmfIm.jpg

riWqe61m.jpg
Wlmw9Wvm.jpg

lsUcrUL.jpg
I shoot something similar, the right is a ~275 grn .36 next to a 460 .45 (left is a .50) In a 14 twist I was pleasantly amazed most times. I havent spent near enough time with it, and really dont know how much it will do.

the .36 and .45 there are mountain molds online builder, then click buy. between my last computer crapping out, and photobucket going pay to play I lost my screen saves of the specs. Ill try and weigh and measure one after work.

Idaholewis said:
Harleysboss said:
Proof is in the pudding. LOL I'm trying to walk a length of rice paper without leaving a trace.. :D

That little Seneca actually grouped good at that Velocity, that part amazed me. I liked them well enough to make up a good Batch of them

I Shot once, made a sight move and Shot the others
pcJejBJm.jpg
adGTmfIm.jpg

riWqe61m.jpg
Wlmw9Wvm.jpg
It is amazing that they shoot so well. I have a Green Mnt. IBS .36 barrel I bought from Dixie GW back in '88 that my T/C Hawken wears. The factory .50 barrel has been in the safe unused for decades. I shoot PRB's out of it mainly even though I have a T/C .36 Maxiball mold. A couple summers ago my Pop returned from an estate sale with some reloading stuff and there was a good size box of cast .36 Maxiballs mixed in. I shot them with 40gr. of Goex Red can 3Fg and they grouped just like your pic. They were exiting the barrel at 1660 fps.

I opened my .358 Push through Sizer to .360, Took me about 5 minutes (I’ve done a few of these :D )

I am Ready for my New Barrel, YESTERDAY :lol:

idv0Zi7l.jpg

man that sure is good looking bullet, I see no reason a .36 shouldn't be deer legal if it will shoot a bullet like that accurately.

Idaholewis said:
I opened my .358 Push through Sizer to .360, Took me about 5 minutes (I’ve done a few of these :D )

I am Ready for my New Barrel, YESTERDAY :lol:

idv0Zi7l.jpg

Latest posts

Back