.36 Cal Mold (ALREADY!)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya Dean! Some of these Laws make ZERO sense, But this one actually does. We have a .40 Cal Minimum to hunt Deer with a Muzzleloader here in Idaho. They are no doubt going off Round Ball (Which does make sense, especially with .36 Cal) A .36 Cal .350 Roundball only weighs 65 Grains, that is on the light side for Deer, Definitely could EASILY be done with proper shot placement, But certainly not ideal. This Rifle i am in the Process of Building is a WHOLE different Animal, But stil Not legal.

Same as our .45s For Elk, .45 Cal is a “NO GO” here for Elk, We have a .50 Cal Minimum. I shoot Bullets all the way up to 540 Grains in my .45s, with the Average Bullet Weight of 400-450 Grains of my NUMEROUS .45 Cal Molds, Here again the issue is Roundball, a .45 Cal Roundball only Weighs 128 Grains (Bad decision for Elk!) Like the .36 mentioned above with a Roundball and Deer, it could no doubt be done, But there are MUCH better Choices. Oh well, that’s why i have a “Fleet” of Muzzleloaders :lol: From .36 to .58

Simple solution to the problem would be to make them legal only if shooting conicals of a certain weight and only a powder charge large enough to push said bullet with enough energy to work as needed. Round ball would be illegal for those calibers.

Idaholewis said:
I hear ya Dean! Some of these Laws make ZERO sense, But this one actually does. We have a .40 Cal Minimum to hunt Deer with a Muzzleloader here in Idaho. They are no doubt going off Round Ball (Which does make sense, especially with .36 Cal) A .36 Cal .350 Roundball only weighs 65 Grains, that is on the light side for Deer, Definitely could EASILY be done with proper shot placement, But certainly not ideal. This Rifle i am in the Process of Building is a WHOLE different Animal, But stil Not legal.

Same as our .45s For Elk, .45 Cal is a “NO GO” here for Elk, We have a .50 Cal Minimum. I shoot Bullets all the way up to 540 Grains in my .45s, with the Average Bullet Weight of 400-450 Grains of my NUMEROUS .45 Cal Molds, Here again the issue is Roundball, a .45 Cal Roundball only Weighs 128 Grains (Bad decision for Elk!) Like the .36 mentioned above with a Roundball and Deer, it could no doubt be done, But there are MUCH better Choices. Oh well, that’s why i have a “Fleet” of Muzzleloaders :lol: From .36 to .58

dbowling said:
Simple solution to the problem would be to make them legal only if shooting conicals of a certain weight and only a powder charge large enough to push said bullet with enough energy to work as needed. Round ball would be illegal for those calibers.

I agree 100%! Idahoron has actually pushed on this EXACT thing, a Weight Restriction. A good example would be 350 Grain Minimum for .45 Cal to Hunt Elk.

And say 200-250 Grain Minimum for .36 Cal to Hunt Deer.

Both examples above would put a HALT to Roundball :yeah: I would love to see the Above happen, But i have my Doubts.

Individuals in charge of making the rules need to be given a demonstration of what said bullet/calibers can do with right bullets and powder charges.. sometimes telling people and having them trying to visualize it doesn't work especially if they really have no knowledge of it to begin with, which I suspect a lot of the people in charge of making the rules do not.

Idaholewis said:
dbowling said:

I agree 100%! Idahoron has actually pushed on this EXACT thing, a Weight Restriction. A good example would be 350 Grain Minimum for .45 Cal to Hunt Elk.

And say 200-250 Grain Minimum for .36 Cal to Hunt Deer.

Both examples above would put a HALT to Roundball :yeah: I would love to see the Above happen, But i have my Doubts.

dbowling said:
Individuals in charge of making the rules need to be given a demonstration of what said bullet/calibers can do with right bullets and powder charges.. sometimes telling people and having them trying to visualize it doesn't work especially if they really have no knowledge of it to begin with, which I suspect a lot of the people in charge of making the rules do not.

Absolutely agree Dean! Obviously I haven’t shot this Rifle yet, But if it does as I suspect (Velocity wise) it would be VERY similar to the Highly Regarded Lyman Gould Bullet, in Weight, And Velocity. If this thing is Accurate at 1300-1500 Fps with this 337 Grain Bullet that is 1,265 Ft lbs of Muzzle energy at 1300 Fps, and 1,684 Ft lbs of Muzzle energy at 1500 Fps

Compare that to a .50 Cal .490 Roundball, a pretty average Velocity Number according to My Lyman Blackpowder manual is 1600-1700 Fps, a .490 Roundball weighs 177 Grains, at 1600 Fps that Roundball has 1,006 Ft lbs of Muzzle Energy, and at 100 Yards this Same Roundball has dropped to less than 400 Ft lbs of energy. At 1700 Fps this .490 Roundball has 1,136 Ft lbs of Muzzle energy, and at 100 Yards is just barely over 400 Ft lbs of energy

The lowest end of My .36 Cal above is SPANKING the Hottest end of a .50 Cal Roundball Muzzle energy wise, And would REALLY be Doing so at 100 Yards!!! If all goes well with this .36 Cal i will actually Shoot over my Chronograph at 100 Yards and find out Exactly

I bet the BC of that bullet is over .33. That is what Doc claimed for his .368 300gr. He listed loads upto 80gr or so of Pyro P. That shoud be more FPE than a 38-55 centerfire.

Doc's team used .375 barrels, but he also built some .338, and at least one more I cant recall at the moment. 80 would be very hot. I was shooting 40-50 and getting IIRC ~1400

Mine are 280.6 grn, 1.130 long, and drop at .361.5. I shot them unsized, pan lubed.

367/300 SuperSlug (BC= .33)
This is also an experimental caliber. It will be very useful as it betters the ballistics of the much loved 38-55 of yesteryear. The bore mikes .368 land-land, with a groove depth of .375. Twist is 1-14. Bullet is cast weighing 300 gr. at .368 diameter, then is sized to .367. It is accurate and hits hard with 80-90 grains Pyrodex P.

I have read through that many times. Missing an opportunity on a pair of them is what sent me on this adventure. I even had several PM's with doc about them. I have a Krieger 9.3 barrel now(.358/.366, in 14 twist) and an omega action for version 2.0, I wanted to stay close to .36 as thats what molds and gear I already have. I'm just recovering from a family medical prolonged issue that took most of my time, and finances last year, working my way out of the hole now, but I should be back on track shortly, and resume building.

Not sure if its still on White site, but there have been several big game hunts with them, including African game.

Back