4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newhunter1

Reaction score
Well today I went to the range here in Dekab county in Atlanta, Ga.

Weather: High was 84--perfect. Overcast and cloudy.

Bench rest with sandbags.

TC Omega .50 cal

Black Mag 3

Bullets were:

Precision bullets: 215 polymer tip, 300 grain hp, 330 grain hp

Hunterman boolets: 300 grain hp

No Excuse conicals 460 grain:

50 yards.

2" group at 50 with hunterman boolets and 90 grains of BM3. Could have done better but for some reason that was the best I could get. Will have to work on that. At 100 yards I had a larger group. Not good--in fact that group opened up to close 4". Stopped shooting the boolet. Will have to work on this round with a different charge.

With the No Excuse @ 50 yards with 90 grains and a wonder wad--Dead on at 50 yards. At 100 yards with 90 grains I was 3" low. I think this round would be dead center at 75 yards though.

Precision bullets @ 50 yards I had the 215, 300, and the 330 grain shooting groups that I could cover with a quarter. The 215 grain grouped so that a dime could touch the holes. Don't know what that equals out to but it was great.

The 300 and 330 grain hp grouped in the same area. All precision bullets were sighted in 3" high @ 50 yards. This was a wasted effort on my part because a hint of carelessness by my leaning my scoped omega on the bench and letting it fall to the ground at the 100 yard table resulted in my scope being off.

So back to the drawing board.

At 100 yards the precision bullets grouped tighter. I was getting 2" groups dead center of the bulls eye. I finally decided to really dial in the 300 grain precision hp bullet and will be going with that with 90 grains of BM3.

The NE 460 shot great with a wonder wad at 50. This round until I can get a better group at 100 yards will be my backup round if I know I'll be hunting a lot of 75 yards or less.

Paul

Sorry--no pictures as my wife had the digital camera.

I finally decided to really dial in the 300 grain precision hp bullet

Should read--I finally decided to really dial in the 330 grain precision extreme 253 bullet in. This is a great bullet as far as accuracy goes. Will have to let you all know how it does on deer this December. To bad Cecil is such a jerk.

Paul

Thanks for your report! Sounds like you are starting to get things worked out.

To bad Cecil is such a jerk.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Takes all the fun out of using his PR bullets.

Yeah I'm done with Cecil too. I've got my Encore/Omega 25acp breech plug on Ebay for sale right now. I guess all my accuracy just went out the window...yeah right. :roll:

Latest posts

Back