4 in 1 Speedloader simple mod.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gle3105

If ur gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!
Supporting member
Reaction score
Unless I’m missing it somewhere in the 4-1 ( the one everyone selling is copying) there’s no place for the 209. See : 3BFC34CF-5CA4-4583-AB63-A3D001978F10.jpeg A60033C3-B657-4DF2-B708-611A43C4E6B5.jpeg 3112A07A-C055-48EE-B5EE-85739494EDDD.jpeg https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-4-in-1-loader-ac1509.html
I know Knight has one but $$$$!
So my very simple fix was to drill and chamfer a hole in the bullet chamber.
Pictured is a Lehigh 260-458 which has a recessed base.
Then a saboted pill using the nose to hold primer in.
.....worked for me.

Beat speed loader out there, hands down. Holds the 209’s on the side. A no nonsense, fast as heck approach to a follow up shot as there ever was in a front stuffer. Well worth the $40

Attachments

• 2DD232F9-E745-4A79-867A-0E98A225477F.jpeg
    2DD232F9-E745-4A79-867A-0E98A225477F.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 32
Beat speed loader out there, hands down. Holds the 209’s on the side. A no nonsense, fast as heck approach to a follow up shot as there ever was in a front stuffer. Well worth the $40

SD, I tried one of those years ago and for me found unfavorable. I suppose they work well for pellets of which I don’t use.
Loose powder slips around bullet.
Some bullets/sabot won’t fit.
BTW, I venture into WallyWorld about two to three times a year. Saw those on clearance for $5.00 about February.
Neat design though.

SD, I tried one of those years ago and for me found unfavorable. I suppose they work well for pellets of which I don’t use.
BTW, I venture into WallyWorld about two to three times a year. Saw those on clearance for $5.00 about February.
Neat design though.
I have one still loaded from November of 2018 in the door of my truck. No powder has jumped the bullets in that one. I have a couple of the E/C loaders version and it does get powder above the bullet. It would be interesting to see just how much gets around the bullet. Mostly , in my case anyway, it appears to be just dust and was only with lead bullets.

I use this loader with BH209 and have no problems in so far as powder getting past sabots , but I just had an experience that scared me some. My last hunt just before daylight started creeping in, by the side of my car while loading my Accura I turned the loading cylinder a tad to far and I rotated it back and finished my loading procedure. As I got ready to head to my blind location that slight over rotation bothered me and I decided to err on the side of caution and pulled the BP and empty the load in a container and reload.Thank God I did I later weighed the powder I took out and the was like 165gr by weight in the barrel..That evening I shot a small 4 pt buck and shudder to think what might have happened if I didnt double check and pull that load out..Beware loading in the dark.

I use this loader with BH209 and have no problems in so far as powder getting past sabots , but I just had an experience that scared me some. My last hunt just before daylight started creeping in, by the side of my car while loading my Accura I turned the loading cylinder a tad to far and I rotated it back and finished my loading procedure. As I got ready to head to my blind location that slight over rotation bothered me and I decided to err on the side of caution and pulled the BP and empty the load in a container and reload.Thank God I did I later weighed the powder I took out and the was like 165gr by weight in the barrel..That evening I shot a small 4 pt buck and shudder to think what might have happened if I didnt double check and pull that load out..Beware loading in the dark.
I had a similar experience only an undercharge, on the biggest deer I have shot yet, a 24” 4 point Muley. I shot him with a PRB at about 75 yards and he didn’t go down. Just humped up and started walking away. I reloaded with a flip cap speed loader and must have spilled half or more of the powder, I was shaking so bad. That shot sounded horrible and I didn’t think the ball even came out, I was now thoroughly rattled as it was almost dark and the buck was walking up and about to go over the hill into some thick mahogany. I knew if he got over that hill, there’s no way I’d ever find him till the next day, and he would be ruined. I started tearing the nipple out of the gun and was gonna drop little bits of powder under the nipple and try and blast it out, when I got control of myself I remembered all I had to do was check the barrel with my ramrod. It was clear, hurried and reloaded, ran up to the top of the hill, and dropped the buck. Amazing what nerves can do to an otherwise fairly calm person.
That’s what the speedloader in my door is loaded with also. BH209.
I almost always pull off the side of the road in the dark opening morning, load a 50 grain load with a bullet, shoot it into the dirt and then load a hunting load in the headlights. If I don’t get a shot, the last night of the Hunt, I fire that load out, and then clean my gun that night or the next day. If I do get goofing off and shooting at a rock or a rabbit or coyote, I’ll load out of my fanny pack, if I have no need for a quick follow up. I primarily use the speed loader only for a quick follow up. Your story might be inspiration for the manufacturer to put a rotation stop that has to be manually operated to rotate and would only let it rotate one position.....

I’ve used a pile of speed loaders and have yet to see anything come close to the Thomson center 4/1 loaders Thompson Center 4-N-1 Quick Shot Loader with Bullet Starter Pack of 2
They hold up to 150gr in a sealed separate compartment, as well as a 209 or no11 cap (doesn’t work well with musket caps). Built in short starter to get the bullet seated. Handy and easy as hell to load with, I’ve never had one break open or leak water into my powder.

Attachments

• 96315C51-2C79-4D42-932C-A6C5177B6D21.jpeg
    96315C51-2C79-4D42-932C-A6C5177B6D21.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
Neat design though.
Yes, exactly they are fantastic for using pellets, but crap for trying to use loose powder with them. I gave mine away bc & don't shoot .50 inline or pellets anymore.

Latest posts

Back