.40 caliber vs. .45 caliber

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
If one had the choice of a .40 caliber sabotless versus a .45 caliber with sabots, which would be preferable and why? I could see the 40 would be a bit cheaper to shoot as no sabots are needed (a very small benefit) and you could use a muzzlebrake as there is no sabot to be upset potentially hurting accuracy. One would really be dependent on the bullet however to seal. The 45 seems like it has more sabots and bullets available and would be more State legal because many have a 45 minimum. The sabotless I have heard is more heat resistant so on the bench you can shoot more rapidly without cool down time, in the field no benefit of course. Thoughts and comments? I ask because I would like to get a smaller caliber and RB and SW are doing alot of work in this area and always have novel and trend setting ideas that seem to work well.

I don't think your question can be answered at this time because there is no rifle shooting in 40 caliber at this point.

That problem should be corrected within a month or so but no rifle can go from a thought to a shooter in the same day with the exception of those that require no new parts.

All we have is the theory that a smaller caliber should be better because it will kick less and provide a different pressure to fuel rquirement.

It is believed (but un-proven) that sabot-less will be more accurate as well but this is difficult to measure because the difference is slight. Another advantage of sabot-less may be the lessened dependence on a slow twist barrel.

The bottom line is a good rifle should shoot well enough to get attention, that has happened in 45 caliber it remains yet to be seen in 40 caliber.

Don't forget the .410 cal. Whites, there are some of them out there and still killing deer. I don't own one, .45 cal. is the minimum in muzzleloaders I can shoot big game in VA.

If you are talking about .40 cal. smokeless then I'm on the wrong topic....

yep i have one of those .410 whites ina super 91. it is quite devastating on deer witha 400 grain bullet. havent found a set of shoulders that can withstand it yet.
sb

Back