.40 sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
What is the lightest and heaviest bullet that effectively can be used in a .40 sabotless, or at least anticipated at this time?
If one shot only paper and deer what is the best weight bullet and rate of twist anticipated?

40 sabotless

Based on a 180 grain bullet what speed do you anticipate accurately can be attained, and also for a 235 grain bullet?

Will one be able to use more centerfire 40 caliber powders and weights of powder as used in a cartridge gun with a sabotless muzzleloader?

Although recoil should be reduced with these lighter bullets versus the .50 caliber would a muzzlebrake even help more? I ask because some think a muzzlebrake with sabots causes disruption of the sabot and a loss of accuracy but in a sabotless gun that would not be an issue and less recoil can be a plus. Thanks

Re: 40 sabotless

jims said:
Based on a 180 grain bullet what speed do you anticipate accurately can be attained, and also for a 235 grain bullet?

Will one be able to use more centerfire 40 caliber powders and weights of powder as used in a cartridge gun with a sabotless muzzleloader?

Although recoil should be reduced with these lighter bullets versus the .50 caliber would a muzzlebrake even help more? I ask because some think a muzzlebrake with sabots causes disruption of the sabot and a loss of accuracy but in a sabotless gun that would not be an issue and less recoil can be a plus. Thanks

The Hornady reloading data for the 405 Winchester says it can get a 300 grain bullet to 2400fps at 41,000psi pressure. That equals to 3838fpe. For a 200 grain bullet to reach this energy it would go 2925fps. A 235 grain bullet would be going 2700fps. There is a small amount of difference between what energy a light weight bullet will shoot compared to a heavier model but even at that you could expect to make 2850 and 2600fps respectively at the same pressure.

The powders used will certainly be slower in burning speed than in the current 50 caliber rifle and there will be an upper limit to each one at that.
Because of the ability to make pressure easier the loads will not need to run very high load levels but as with any caliber the most power comes from the most fuel consumed. But I think a moderate load woul be about 50 grains.

A muzzle break is an option. But I wouldn't say it's that much needed.

Back