400 grn V2 Penetration Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBG

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
This morning I tried a water jug penetration test with one of my two favorite hog back up loads; a cast lead WW Lee 515-500 with the base faced down to 400 grains and sized to .505 then lubed with shortening, one .024 card over 100 grns(V) T7 2f, and a Winchester 209 primer. When I had a chrono this load averaged 1270 fps. I'd never done a penetration test with it before.

I took a guess and lined up 4 one-gallon water jugs, followed by 5 half-gallon cranberry juice bottles all placed a couple of yards from the muzzle. An 8 foot high earth berm was the back stop. All 4 gallon jugs exploded, the first four juice bottles were drilled thru center with the screw on caps missing. The 5th juice bottle had a hole in the front with my bullet lying in the center at the bottom.

The length of the bullet nose from bottom of first driving band to the flat point had been shortened from .500" to .465". The point had widened from .285" to .377" and the flat tip now had a shallow dish shape. All measurements are approximate according to my poor close up vision and plastic/digital Mitutoyo calipers.

Total penetration was 36" of water in containers, and I had a little fun.

I was two or three yards away. That's about how close something has to get before I'm willing to pull the trigger on this load.

Having the V2 is reassuring here where WMAs forbid modern or repeating BP guns for backup.

Test #2: Same distance.

Same 400 grain bullet left at .515 diameter, then well lubed, pressed into bore and lightly tapped down onto same powder charge.

Fed 209A primer.

Gun sling wrapped around the vertical post on a Lead Sled front rest. 180# of iron plates on sled.

Bullet went through 4 gallon water jugs, 7 half-gallon juice bottles, recovered in 8th bottle - total penetration 46".

Latest posts

Back