405 gr. Rem .45-70 bullet drops elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went for a hunt down in southern NM (Unit 34) last week. There was lots of elk sign, and some areas had grass stalks as high as my chest. The second day we were driving up the road in the dark and spotted 7 bulls feeding in a meadow next to the road. We parked about 1/4 mile further up, and we hiked up the hill next to the meadow, since I figured they'd be headed into the woods at first light. It was very steep, and covered with deadfall. It wasn't a fun climb. It was fairly open on top, and I stayed on the edge of the opening as I walked towards the elk. Turns out I was lost in the fog, and made a big circle. About the time I got back to where I started, I spotted an elk in the woods about 100 yards out. I tried to kneel or sit to shoot, but couldn't see the elk. I stood back up and a spike bull stepped into a tiny opening. I took an off-hand shot.

It wasn't the best shot I've ever made, but when I ducked under the smoke, I could see he was down. The bullet broke his spine, and glanced down into lungs and liver. I found the cup of the bullet in the liver, and the lead under the hide on the far side of the lungs. I'm a meat hunter, and this was an either sex hunt, so I was very happy with a spike. I wouldn't have minded a 6x6, because the antlers are worth $18/lb., but it would have been heavier.

Of course we butchered it in the field. My hunting buddy is 15 years younger than me, but overweight and a bit of a wimp. I carried out the hind quarter, backstrap, and head, and he carried out a front quarter. The second trip was much easier because in the light we found a better way up. My buddy with a mule left the area before I shot the elk.

We were hunting in a CWD area, and Game & Fish had a check station set up. By having your animal tested, you're entered into an oryx drawing. Last year the odds were 750:1. This is NM, last in everything good, and first in everything bad, so I'll get the results of the test in about 6 months.

I shoot an old Kahnke .50 with a 30" barrel using 125 gr. of powder and #11 caps. The bullet retained 93% of its weight, which seemed a little too much considering it hit bone. I've used the same bullet to kill 4 elk in the past, but they were modified by Outlaw State Bullets by rounding the tip and adding a hollow point. Those have been very effective, dropping 3 out of 4 on the spot without hitting bone. Speer makes a 400 gr. bullet, which I believe is a bit softer.

Attachments

• DD28ABDA-1F17-4B89-B036-59A99EB7989C.jpeg
    DD28ABDA-1F17-4B89-B036-59A99EB7989C.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 8114F252-76E1-4254-8D22-CEB1F808CEC0.jpeg
    8114F252-76E1-4254-8D22-CEB1F808CEC0.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Congrats, and thanks for sharing your hunt. :lewis:

I went for a hunt down in southern NM (Unit 34) last week. There was lots of elk sign, and some areas had grass stalks as high as my chest. The second day we were driving up the road in the dark and spotted 7 bulls feeding in a meadow next to the road. We parked about 1/4 mile further up, and we hiked up the hill next to the meadow, since I figured they'd be headed into the woods at first light. It was very steep, and covered with deadfall. It wasn't a fun climb. It was fairly open on top, and I stayed on the edge of the opening as I walked towards the elk. Turns out I was lost in the fog, and made a big circle. About the time I got back to where I started, I spotted an elk in the woods about 100 yards out. I tried to kneel or sit to shoot, but couldn't see the elk. I stood back up and a spike bull stepped into a tiny opening. I took an off-hand shot.

It wasn't the best shot I've ever made, but when I ducked under the smoke, I could see he was down. The bullet broke his spine, and glanced down into lungs and liver. I found the cup of the bullet in the liver, and the lead under the hide on the far side of the lungs. I'm a meat hunter, and this was an either sex hunt, so I was very happy with a spike. I wouldn't have minded a 6x6, because the antlers are worth $18/lb., but it would have been heavier.

Of course we butchered it in the field. My hunting buddy is 15 years younger than me, but overweight and a bit of a wimp. I carried out the hind quarter, backstrap, and head, and he carried out a front quarter. The second trip was much easier because in the light we found a better way up. My buddy with a mule left the area before I shot the elk.

We were hunting in a CWD area, and Game & Fish had a check station set up. By having your animal tested, you're entered into an oryx drawing. Last year the odds were 750:1. This is NM, last in everything good, and first in everything bad, so I'll get the results of the test in about 6 months.

I shoot an old Kahnke .50 with a 30" barrel using 125 gr. of powder and #11 caps. The bullet retained 93% of its weight, which seemed a little too much considering it hit bone. I've used the same bullet to kill 4 elk in the past, but they were modified by Outlaw State Bullets by rounding the tip and adding a hollow point. Those have been very effective, dropping 3 out of 4 on the spot without hitting bone. Speer makes a 400 gr. bullet, which I believe is a bit softer.
Is it difficult to reload the same bullet over and over??? ;>)

Good job and excellent eating there. Congratulations.
But I'm a bit confused on the title. It says a 405 gr 45-70 but your last paragraph states that you used a .50 Kahnke?!?!

Good job and excellent eating there. Congratulations.
But I'm a bit confused on the title. It says a 405 gr 45-70 but your last paragraph states that you used a .50 Kahnke?!?!
I think I understand what you mean now. You used a Remington 405 gr .458" bullet with sabot in your Kahnke. I guess I wasn't thinking straight.

Bronko220002, I try to make sure my meaning is clear, but just because it is clear to me doesn't mean it is clear to others.

ExArcher, with lots of special lube and a sizer, it can be done. Actually, I don't recover many of those bullets.

I use a Lee .458 bullet in my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps .45-70. I shot this bullet lubed and paper patched and get better accuracy with the paper patched bullets. I size them down to .452" then wrap in my paper which brings my finish dia to .459". I also found that with the paper patched I can soften my alloy to 20:1 lead/tin which gives me great expansion.

I use a Lee .458 bullet in my Pedersoli 1874 Sharps .45-70. I shot this bullet lubed and paper patched and get better accuracy with the paper patched bullets. I size them down to .452" then wrap in my paper which brings my finish dia to .459". I also found that with the paper patched I can soften my alloy to 20:1 lead/tin which gives me great expansion.
how are the round nose bullets for hunting? I'm using the 500 grain paper patch 45 cal in my muzzleloader, & wondered if they would expand on deer.. Or just punch through. messing around, i filed a very even good flat on the point of one making it look like many of the hunting bullet mold designs & it only reduced the weight 3 grains. This might be better?? (the bullets are baco pure lead swedged hollow base pp bullets)

This is the one I shoot. My 500 gr mold warped on me and is trashed.
View attachment 33900
The "hunting" bullets have that big flat on em.... prob cuts hole like a wadcutter with expansion?? don't know about the round nose version,,, i wonder what the bullets the buffalo hunters used looked like,, round or flat nose? My rice barre will be here today from blueing so i'll get to try out my 400 and 500 grain pp bullets soon. (the rice barrels are .448 or .449). The "rifle" bullets are too large diameter.. I don't like casting so am hoping the buffalo arms paper patch bullets will do the job!

Latest posts

Back